We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama Street Food

New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Takayama Street Food

I'll be in Takayama for 2 nights, 1 day. As I'll be staying in a ryokan, dinners and breakfasts will be covered. I was interested in doing street food for my 1 lunch (hida beef skewers, hida beef buns, etc.), but was wondering if that was available during lunch time. I understand the morning markets will probably be closed by lunch but are there other stalls open around 1P?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Takayama Street Food

For take out, thinly sliced hida beef skeweres are available not only on Preserved Old Streets but on *new* streets, yet for around 400yen a piece, along with lightly broiled hida beef sushi. Maybe at around lunch time the tantalizing smell is so irresitible you find it hard to not gravitate to where it comes from. Problem is, you end up paying a whole lot more, what with canned beers you spot neatly arranged in the open ice box nearby a lady taking care of hida beef, what with second and third helpings... So rather than eat on the street, you might as well go in to where the flavor is.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takayama Street Food

There are lots of eateries around the town. Just wander around until you find something that takes your fancy

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Takayama Street Food

Morning markets did not have much if any that was edible without further cooking. Most of the stuff at the markets are fresh farm products and/or pickles. Along Sanmachi and Kami-sanmachi (?) Streets, you have your old wooden houses selling sweets, arts and craft, senbei (rice crackers), sake, a few stalls selling Hida beef skewers and sushi and grilled rice cakes/mochi/dango. Take your pick!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Takayama Street Food

Thank you for your responses! With the substantial meals the ryokan would be serving I'd like to keep my lunch on the lighter side. Beef skewers, mochi dango and senbei sound perfect!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Takayama Street Food

And then you can wash them all down at Harada (hope I got the spelling right) Sake Breweries where you can taste all their fine award winning sake for just 100 yen! You only buy their 100 yen ceramic cup, which you can bring back with you, and fill up your cup from their chilled cabinet. I tasted most of them for just 100 yen and I liked it so much that I bought a bottle.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Takayama Street Food

Can I ask, are the Cherry Blossoms in bloom in Takayama atm. Thinking of heading there in the next couple of days.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Takayama Street Food

They were beautiful during the Takayama Festival on the 14 and 15 April. Please look at Japan Guide's Takayama cherry blossom report on 17 April. Looks like it will still look good over the weekend at least.

CA, USA
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Takayama Street Food

Hello everyone, sorry to jump in on the thread but the topic is one I am interested to know more. We will be in Takayama for 2 days, 1 night in mid-May and I have heard talks about a food street festival in Takayama in May. Does anyone know the date? Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Takayama Street Food

Here is what I found:

http://www.hida.jp/english/event_spring.htm

Do not know though if it is what you had in mind.

10. Re: Takayama Street Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:18