We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning itinerary around Takayama

London, United...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help planning itinerary around Takayama

Hi,

We'll be arriving in Takayma from Tokyo and staying two nights, until we leave for Kanazawa (on our way to Kyoto). We would appreciate any help planning our time there considering we're traveling with a 4 months old baby. Between Takayama, Tsumago, Magome and Matsumoto, what can we include within the given time frame? (Or are there other spots you recommend better?) Is the Tsumago-Magome hiking trail doable with a baby (we're not world-class hikers to say the least), or should we plan for visiting just one of the towns? Any advice on where to go, in what order and how to get around would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Loulli.

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning itinerary around Takayama

The Tsumago-Magome hiking trail is doable with an infant in a proper backpack or large wheeled stroller (think Chariot or BOB). It is a very easy trail, mostly well marked and you can certainly tailor it to a shorter length if you want to use the shuttle. There are (reportedly) a few bears in the region but I wouldn't let that frighten you.

I'd also strongly suggest that you plan a trip to Shirakawa http://shirakawa-go.org/english/ or possibly even Gokayama if you are feeling more adventurous. It is about an hour on the bus from Takayama to Shirakawa.

The castle in Matsumoto is one of my favourites in Japan and highly recommended. There are volunteers (some of whom speak english) who can enrich your experience by providing a lot more detail about what you are seeing.

You should be aware that travel between these places is not always as straightforward as you might expect. Do your homework before you finalize your plans to make sure you aren't spending all your time traveling between these places. My advice for two days with an infant would be to focus on Takayama and Shirikawa.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 18:55
2. Re: Help planning itinerary around Takayama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2014, 04:19