We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving conditions Shirakawa-go in April

Which Takayama hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving conditions Shirakawa-go in April

I did find several posts about this before, but I was hoping for some further clarification, as it seems the expressway to Shirakawa-go from Takayama may be a recently added route.

We are 4 people travelling in the first week of April. I have very basic and mostly forgotten Japanese language skills. I have experience driving on the left side of the road in Australia, and experience driving in snow/ice conditions in Canada. The plans are:

Day 1: Train from Tokyo to Takayama, and then immediately transit to Shirakawa go for the night.

Day 2: From Shirakawa-go, we would like to explore the nearby villages. Return to Takayama for the night.

Day 3: Day trip to Okuhida, to visit the hot springs. We would like to hike the mountain if possible. Return to Takayama for the night.

It seems we could save a significant amount of money to rent a car, along with the added flexibility compared with taking a bus. My questions are:

(A) Is it any easier to navigate the area with the use of the expressway? Is there still risk of road closures or inaccessibility?

(B) Is parking readily available in Shirakawa-go and the nearby villages? Could this become a problem?

(C) Is parking readily available at the hot springs in Okuhida?

(D) Will it be necessary to have a 4WD, winter tires or chains on the car at this time of year for the above mentioned routes? The weather prediction appears to be consistently above 0 degrees, however in previous posts people recommended winter tires for snow.

Thank you for any additional advice you can provide.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving conditions Shirakawa-go in April

A.expressway option is available right from takayama to shirakawa now. Head West from the city, go North (ie not to nagoya), at Hidakiyomi IC. There's now a 10km long tunnel through the mountains that comes out above shirakawago.

The main roads should all be accessible.

B. There's a large parking area over the river from the main village at shirakawa go. Though if you're staying in a gassho zukuri, they should have parking available. (Have a look at japan guesthouses.com for accom)

D. You're hire car would already have snow tyres on it. Might be an idea to ask for chains, just-in-case.

You'll have to check closer to time as to amount of snow. I was in Takayam and shirakawa go April 14th 2012 and there was a good amount of snow on the ground still (though the roads were clear), and I was there same date 2013 and no snow.....

good luck, have a great trip

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving conditions Shirakawa-go in April

Thank you so much Sensei!

3. Re: Driving conditions Shirakawa-go in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 06:18