We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR 3 Kanazawa

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,838 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
TR 3 Kanazawa

More coastal Kanazawa is a typical big city but with far less English spoken and almost non existent independent travellers. The bus loads however were there. The ANA was not hard to find, another no taxi, no shuttle and we settled ourselves into our rail line view shoe box. Guru went outside to change his mind and we tried to find something western for Dinner. We needed a change. As per usual there were ample noodle bars but unlike our experiences elsewhere there was nothing else in the area surrounding the station, much too tired to try getting to Katamachi where the food seemed to be, we settled on a wood fired Pizza place on the 6th floor of Forus, another shopping complex. No wine available we went to the 100mart and bought a small French white to drink in the room.

Breakfast was the tour bus experience, it appeared there was a huge group of European tourists on a bus trip and we obviously came to breakfast at the wrong time, the same time. We were seated in amongst them and when I returned from getting my coffee near the end of my meal, our chairs, including Gurus jumper had done a disappearing act. Yep, the group had secured them and were having a little tete a tete around the nearest table. Several excuse me, entschilgung sie bitte and pardons later our chairs and clothes were returned.

As usual being early starters was a huge plus. Kenroku-Koen was deserted, but not for too long. It took us near to 2 hours to do the entire park and castle admire the cherry blossom and have a tea ceremony before we boarded a bus bound for the Station, mostly because it was the first bus we could read the writing on. My initial plan was to head for the markets but our map said open on Sundays. As the bus neared the lady behind asked where we were from and suggested we try lunch there. We selected a little place, no English, and waited and waited on the bench as the line stretched behind us. 20 minutes later we made inside the door to the counter, in front of the sashimi chef, but we had ordered tempura! Another 40 mins later our food arrived, but the craftsmanship of the chef made waiting easy if you ignored the rumbling stomachs. We bought some strawberries and chatted with some Tasmanians who were also surprised we were DIY. I am beginning to worry about the impact of Westerners in japan as many don’t seem to want to know about custom, eg money on the tray, pointing to the goods and not handling everything and worst of all ignoring the crossing signs!

Waddling out we purchased tickets for the loop bus and headed to Higashi Pleasure district and Sakuda Gold leaf. Another private instruction on the making of gold leaf.......unintelligable Japanese.......1 kirogram.....more Japanese.....1 miclon....we nodded, he nodded. It was wonderful.

Ice cream with Gold Flakes on top (700Y) we boarded the bus for Sakurabashi (Cherry Blossom Bridge) walked the 200m then back to the bridge and onto the Samurai Township. Another wander peering at different architecture, bus back to Station.

After such a huge lunch we thought we’d find something light for dinner and a little cafe called Wada looked good. At least the picture looked Cafe style even if the food was a bit pricey. As it turned out the food was Kaiseki style and so delicious, my only disappointment being unable to finish the salmon sashimi. I have never had any so good. The meal was only about $150A, and no way could I have dined like that at home for that price.

We fell into bed and slept like babies waking bright and early for the long transport day to Tokyo and the Four Seasons Maranouchi.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR 3 Kanazawa

I enjoy reading your reports. Very well written and informative.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR 3 Kanazawa

Thanks again...shall look forward to Tokyo!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR 3 Kanazawa

*sigh* these trips reports are having an adverse effect on my travel plans. Now I'm looking up fares to Japan again !

;-)

4. Re: TR 3 Kanazawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Kanazawa