We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reserving buses

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Reserving buses

We'd like to travel via bus from Kanazawa to Takayama, stopping for a few hours at S-go in April (not during Golden week or the Takayama festival).

The Japan-guide wesbite (which has been great btw) says that reservations are required.

Do I need to do make a reservation well in advance (ie. before I leave home)? If so, how would I do this?

Or could I just get the hotel to make a reservation when I arrive in Kanazawa?

Any help is appreciated

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reserving buses

We bought our Takayama to Shirakawa-go bus tickets the day before travel in Takayama during the Takayama autumn festival period. On the day of travel there were less than a dozen passengers onboard the bus. Not sure how different is the situation if you start from Kanazawa. Upon arriving in Japan, you can ask your first hotel to phone up to make a reservation for you. Or try to do a reservation by phone before leaving for Japan: 81-577-32-1688

nouhibus.co.jp/english/shirakawago_kanazawa.…

If English is not spoken, try seeking help from Kanazawa at

webmaster@city.kanazawa.lg.jp

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,844 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reserving buses

I think it is unlikely that the bus will be booked out. I wouldn't worry.

They only take reservations over the phone and in Japanese. Ask the first hotel you stay to make a reservation for you just to be safe.

nouhibus.co.jp/english/shirakawago_kanazawa.…

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,844 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reserving buses

Sorry I didn't mean to repeat you William512. I guess we're typing at the same time..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reserving buses

Thanks so much for your quick replies

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reserving buses

Hi there i used Willer nuses when I was in japan - they were great and it was easy to book online. The bus was packed so its probably better to book in advance. You can get more info and see pics on my website angietravels.com

6. Re: Reserving buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2011, 07:19