We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
709 posts
98 reviews
Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

I'm seeking recommendations for lodging for my upcoming spring trip which includes a 4-night stay in Kanazawa. I'm looking for something very near the train station and under 7000 yen per night. I have to have a smoke-free room as I'm very allergic to smoke (totally smoke-free building would be even better). Western style with ensuite preferred but open to Asian style and/or shared bathroom. Having a refrigerator & kettle in the room would be nice but access to a shared kitchen would work as option. Thanks for the assistance.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

I don't really recommend the station area because it's not convenient for sightseeing. But if you are sure that's where you want to be there is APA, Dormy inn, route inn, Toyoko inn.

In kohrimbo, near to sights, Toyoko inn, APA chuo, resol trinity.

They should all be within budget, except maybe Dormy inn.

There are many more choices. Direct booking, usually in Japanese though, yields best rates almost always.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,368 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

I want to point out that budget hotels, especially in a small town like Kanazawa rarely have totally smoke free rooms, let alone smoke free floors and buildings. Japanese style lodgings would be worse when it comes to smoke.

If you're severely allergic to smoke, you should budget a little more and stay at a nicer hotel. I don't know in Kanazawa, but in Tokyo, 3+star hotels usually have smoke free floors.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

The places mentioned all offer non-smoking rooms.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

You alsor might like this place. All guest rooms are non-smoking. Smoking is allowed in a designate area. english.pongyi.com/index.php?information

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,368 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

>>The places mentioned all offer non-smoking rooms.<<

I know they do, but that doesn't insure you get a totally smoke free room. If you stay in a hotel in Japan frequently, I'm sure you have smelled smoke in a non-smoking room. I have many times. In my experience, it happens more often in a small town and at an inexpensive places.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

Yes. That is true. You can smell smoke sometimes. I've had it happen at Hilton and Hyatt here in the past. But in Kanazawa, paying more doesn't exactly get you nicer or better chance of no smoke smell. The newest hotels are business hotels. The nicer level, Tokyu Excel, ANA and Nikko, are not better unless you need in house restaurants. Rooms aren't better and entry level rooms small and old.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,368 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

>>The newest hotels are business hotels.<<

In that case, the op should go with what fish2 recommended.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

We stayed at the Toyoko Inn, Korinbo, in January (5 rooms)and again in June (2 rooms). It cost a little more than your target rate. The location is excellent, with a bus stop outside, Kenrokuen and the markets relatively close, good eating places within walking distance and breakfast free. Smoke was not an issue for any of the rooms taken. Staff were most obliging. It was part of the reason for two very successful visits to Kanazawa.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

I stayed at ryokan shibuya earlier this year, it's a few blocks from the station, and has an onsen. Cheap and good!

hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/…37747

nihon
Level Contributor
574 posts
10. Re: Kanazawa accommodations recommendations?

the station area is mostly a typical post-1945 concrete jungle.

i would prefer to stay somewhere closer to Kenrokuen (castle's outer garden), especially during the cherry blossom season. blogs.yahoo.co.jp/yamajyou11/archive/2010/4…

(in the first pic of the blog you can see the locals doing the Hanami party below the lit-up stone wall at night. http://img2.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/63/82/yamajyou11/folder/150455/img_150455_13124383_0?1270812037)

Korinbo (shopping/business district) is close to Kenrokuen/castle, as is Otemachi. Hirosaka, located between Kenrokuen and Korinbo, is a nice/convenient area.

Get answers to your questions about Kanazawa
Recent Conversations