We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help!

If you were staying in Kanazawa for just 1 night where would you stay?

I read in a guide book that it is best to stay in the Korinbo district for easy walking to sights, or in the east side of the city, Higashi Chaya for it's pleasant atmosphere.

Would you suggest that or staying near the train station for easy in/easy out ?

Thanks for your help!

Kanazawa Station
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Myoryuji - Ninja Temple
Sacred & Religious Sites
Higashichaya Old Town
Neighbourhoods, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites
Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help!

It's easy in/easy out to get a taxi to and from the station, so that's no problem. It's less convenient for sightseeing and dining to stay at the station area. In Kohrimbo, you can choose APA Chuo, Toyoko Inn, Tokyu Excel...all business styles hotels, with the Excel being the nicest and most expensive. Kikunoya is very cute and in a great location for dining and sightseeing. Next door is a great soba place, lots of cafes and restaurants within a 1 minute walk down the street...Lots of good choices. And taxi to and from the station. Simple.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,736 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help!

If I had a lot of luggage or an early train to catch when I depart, I'd stay near the train station. Otherwise, you're probably better off near the sightseeing areas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help!

Any suggestions of a luxurious ryokan to stay at? I would LOVE one with a spa or private bath in the room!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help!

we stayed at asadaya which was a short cab ride from the station, or a 20 min walk. it's right across the street from the market. we walked to the major sites from there (samurai, district, ninja temple, geisha quarters, kenrokuen) in one afternoon. the guest rooms have private bath and there is a common-use family bath but we were the only ones there the whole time so we could use the common-bath whenever. there's only 5 guestrooms i believe, so you will feel like you're the only ones anyway. food and service are impeccable. www.ikyu.com/en/ap/info/UssW11601.aspx…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel help!

I actually emailed them to see if they had any availability! If anyone has a back-up plan, please let me know! You did all of the sights in one afternoon?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel help!

From the ikyu.com site, you can make reservation and check availability. Yes, we did all our sightseeing in one afternoon, and saw the castle grounds too. I would possibly have wanted to visit the contemporary art museum too but we were going to Naoshima after, which is an island with art everywhere, so we skipped the museum.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel help!

In one long afternoon you could walk from Asasaya through the samurai district, up to Kenrokuen, continue another 30 minute walk to the "ninja" temple and from there visit the Nishichaya. Walking that would take 1 1/2 hours between places, plus the time in the places. At least an hour in Kenrokuen, 30 minutes ninja temple, 30 minutes Nishichaya, 1 hour or more samurai district. You need more than 4 hours to do those places. You will have less than 2 unless you stay two nights.

The Higashichayagai and Kazuemachi are more interesting geisha districts than the Nishichayagai. There is a 2.6 kn walk visiting 12 temples and shrines in Utatsuyama, easily accessed from Higashichayagai, that is very nice. There's gold leaf shops, tea houses (geisha houses) that you can enter and look around, cute cafes and galleries.

Kaga yuzen is worth learning about - there are 2 museum type places, one in the samurai district and one below Kenrokuen. Kanazawa castle is rebuilt but very well done, and it has the largest variety of types of stone walls of all the castles in Japan.

Asasaya is very nice, service fabulous, food fabulous. Price not so fabulous starting at ¥50,000 per person per night. If you can afford it without batting an eye, do stay there. But if it's a stretch and a splurge that sort of money may be better spent not at at a city ryokan but at an onsen ryokan. You might look at Tadaya in Wakura onsen or River Retreat Gayaku in Toyama prefecture. But, in Kanazawa, Asadaya is top.

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel help!

Another ryokan nearby is Hoshi - 1300 years of service - in nearby Awazu onsen. Very special.

nihon
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel help!

i think top-notch Ryokans in Kanazawa, such as Kincharyou (typically 100,000 yen per person per night), are so-called Ryoutei Ryokan, so not suited for vegetarians. but if you love fish-based japanese cuisine, Kincharyou, Kinjohro, etc. of Kanazawa are among the very best in Japan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
612 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel help!

Yes, I was quoted 42,000 yen per person for each night, yikes. It's a special trip , so we can splurge, but I am also interested in the idea of an onsen ryokan!

I looked one up earlier that was on the water and looked GORGEOUS, but I think it was a 2 hour bus ride from Kanazawa. How far are these other ryokans that you mention?

Thanks so much!