We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanazawa

Aiea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Kanazawa

Going to Kanazawa from Tokyo on April 13-19, 2014. Would like to go as far as Noto Peninsula.

Is it possible to squeeze in a visit to Ise Island along the way on a 7 day railpass?

Would appreciate your suggestions.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanazawa

Which Ise Island are you referring to? The famous tourist destination of Ise is not an island. It's not located in Noto Peninsula either.

jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-403.pdf

Aiea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanazawa

Yes I am referring to Ise, the origin of Mikimoto Pearls. Wondered if there was enough time to stop in Nagoya before or after visiting Kanazawa to do a side trip to Ise. Sorry for the confusion.

Aloha.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanazawa

Well, you can do it as a day trip from Nagoya if you like, visiting Ise Shrine as well as some sites around Toba, including the Mikimoto place. The best area is further south in Ago Bay, though.

You might:

D1: Start early in the morning. Nagoya, Ise Shrine, and Toba (1 day). Stay in Toba

D2: Back to Nagoya. See the Tokugawa Museum. Take a short ride on the Meitetsu (not covered by JR Pass) to Inuyama for Inuyama Castle. Walk over the bridge to Unuma. Take the JR Hida to Takayama. See bits of Takayama. Stay in Takayama

D3: See Takayama town. Take the bus to Shirakawago. See Shirakawa-go. Take bus to Kanazawa.

D4: Kanazawa. Stay at a nearby onsen town, like Yuwaku.

D5: Wakura and Noto area (north of Wakura not covered by JR Pass). Stay in Wakura Onsen.

D6: Return to Tokyo via Maibara (Hikone Castle nearby), or via Nagaoka or Echigo-Yuzawa.

Aiea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanazawa

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. On day 4, will there be enough time to visit Korakuen, fish market and the teahouses?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanazawa

Yes, but if you want to limit the places you'd like to visit, you might drop Ise area and/or Inuyama Castle. I am only suggesting the above as a model itinerary; you should check timetable and feasibility for you by using tools such as hyperdia or google map. Everyone has a different pace and different interests.

Aiea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanazawa

I will take your suggestion under advisement and seriously consider going directly to Kanazawa from Toba so we can move at a more leisurely pace to visit the Korakuen, Wakura and Noto area. Thank you very much.

Aloha.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanazawa

Note that many JR trains between Toba and Nagoya goes through a portion of Ise Railway on which you'd have to pay a minor addition. Show the train conductor and pay the price. The JR is a minor rival to more faster and frequent Kintetsu Railway in that area, so do check out the timetable.

It's your choice, but I think visiting Shirakawa-go from Kanazawa by bus on one of the days makes sense, and I do recommend doing so. If you are going by JR Ltd Exp Shirasagi via Maibara from Nagoya to Kanazawa, you might make it an opportunity to visit Hikone which is one station away.

Edited: 21 September 2013, 03:13
Aiea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanazawa

Yes, Shirakawa-go was on my itinerary. I began my research yesterday by reading the forums on TripAdvisor to give me an overview of what to do and see. There are so much to see in so little time. LOL.

Aloha.

9. Re: Kanazawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 September 2013, 13:16
nihon
Level Contributor
529 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanazawa

Yobeekool wrote: "......bus to Kanazawa. D4: Kanazawa. Stay at a nearby onsen town, like Yuwaku. D5: Wakura ....."

i wonder, how much do you actually know about Kanazawa, Yuwaku, etc.?