We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanazawa Region

Melbourne
1 post
Kanazawa Region

Hi Everyone! I am planning the itinerary for our 1st Japan trip in April 2014, and would appreciate your comment and advice for Kanazawa region. Will travel with my wife and 2 kids aged 12 and 8. The plan is as follows:

10 Apr - train from Tokyo to Takayama; walk around Takayama a bit, then rent a car (for convenience and more flexibility) to travel to Shinhotaka Ropeway and Okuhida Onsen Town then overnight in Hirayu-No-Mori

11 Apr - Return car to Takayama in the morning, enjoy morning market etc then take 13:50 or 15:50 bus to Shirakawago and overnight in a Minshuku

12 Apr - Take 10:20am bus from Shirakawago to Kanazawa. Enjoy Kanazawa and currently thinking to stay in APA Hotel Chuo

13 Apr - Enjoy Kanazawa in the morning then take afternoon train to Osaka

We decided to spend more in Kanazawa than Takayama as my wife and daughter are very much into craft, and I see that Kanazawa has craft tourism to offer.

My questions are

- what's the weather like in the region during that time?

- Will there be heating in the Minshuku?

- how is the driving condition from Takayama to Okuhida?

Thanks for your input.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
128 reviews
1. Re: Kanazawa Region

Kanazawa will be lovely in april. Temp wise will be around 5-15 deg. If you like historis stuffs like Ninja or Samurai during the Tokugawa/Edo period, Kanazawa IS the place to visit. The city is easy to navigate and only a short drive from Shirakawago. Perhaps add another half an hour from Takayama

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
949 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Kanazawa Region

We visited Kanazawa last April and it was very pleasant weather wise. We stayed at Toyoko Inn Kanazawa Kenrokuen Korinbo which was very convenient. Bus stops just outside, so you can get to the station or do the tourist city loop (get a day bus pass) It had free breakfast in the lobby, free shuttle to the station, smauari area was just behind and kenrokuen garden an easy walk, The gardens are beautiful and at that time of year the blossoms should be out The Ninja temple is really interesting with secret doors passages etc (kids would love it ) Ask about it at the tourist info centre at the station when you arrive and make a booking.

I think you are going to be very rushed trying to fit in all you want to do .

Day 1 -The train trip takes around 4 hours. Takayama is a great place to explore on foot (old town area, festival floats museum) so will take a couple of hours. Then time will be needed to organise the car hire. I haven't driven in Japan, but the roads in the area are twisty and often narrow so the drive to the onsen town will take a while (also allowing for getting lost on unfamiliar roads which may not have English signage!)

Other people might have more ideas on this.

Edited: 16 January 2014, 11:49
Vancouver
Level Contributor
16 posts
85 reviews
3. Re: Kanazawa Region

I was in Kanazawa last July for 4 days. It's a lovely city. Spending just one night in Kanazawa doesn't do it justice.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Kanazawa Region

Agree - needs 3 full days to see the lot. There is so much craft - pottery kilns, gold leaf, glass - no end to it. Samurai and geisha culture, contemporary culture (very trendy young people in Kanazawa), shopping - everything. Recommend the FORUS shopping centre and the Hotel Nikko too - close to the station - but we walked to the garden and castle from there - no problem actually.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 23:37
5. Re: Kanazawa Region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 07:19