We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

Which Kanazawa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
286 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

Hi,

Tossing up between APA Hotel Kanazawa-Ekimae (hot baths) and R&B Hotel Kanazawaeki Nishi (cheaper, newer and complimentary breakfast). To be honest, not even sure if I will use the hot baths as arriving late and leaving early and also as a western older women, not really comfortable with the nudity thing. I have read the reviews for both hotels and leaning towards the R&B Hotel Kanazawaeki Nishi as it sounds like it is newer/cleaner.

I would really appreciate some advice

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,877 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

How about Via Inn Kanazawa? I just have a bad experience in staying at one of the R&B chain hotel (smallest ever room without even a desk at Shin-Yokohama) and I just pick somewhere else even if it cost me 3,000-4,000 yen more (I am a regular user of APA chain though).

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

But baths are one of the great joys in Japan - take a deep breath & just do it! It's very liberating & you'll feel great. (and if anyone is in the bath they won't care what you look like.)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
286 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

Hi,

Via Inn is fully booked for the night.

As for the bath, yes I am staying at a few places that have an Onsen so I am sure I will do it, not sure whether

APA Hotel Kanazawa will be that nice though.

Another factor is I will be arriving in Kanazawa at about 8 p.m and leaving on the early bus to Shirakawago. Not sure if there will be restaurants/cafe's open around the station area for dinner/breakfast and the R&B Hotel Kanazawaeki Nishi complimentary breakfast looks good. I am afraid I have a weakness for western breakfasts when I travel, although love to eat any/all food for other meals.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,430 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

Consider Dormy Inn as well. It is a good budget business hotel with free public onsen.

8pm isn't late yet so you should be able to find restaurants open. Last orders could stop at 9pm so don't delay too much.

Japan
Level Contributor
612 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

The APA hotel might be older but it is a lot closer to the station. You don't say when you are arriving, but if it is hot, humid and raining you aren't really going to want to walk all the way over to the other hotel with luggage. Also, being closer to the station you have more food options. What time is the bus? The Starbucks at Forus (shopping center in front of the station) opens at 7 am. Also, inside the station some of the breakfast places (German Bakery and maybe others) will be open at 7 am. Alternatively, after you arrive you can walk around the station and gather some food and pop it in your fridge for breakfast.

I have not stayed at R&B but their homepage shows bread and coffee/juice. You can get something better at the station.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

Next door to Kanazawa station is a department store called Forus (bus terminal side, on the left as you exit the station) Starbucks is on the ground floor (or 1st floor as it's called in Japan) but on the 6th floor are a whole lot of reasonably priced, international casual dining cafes/restuarants. They are open until 11pm. You are sure to find something you like here.

There are French bakeries & patisseries on the ground floor of Forus (& also within the station building) but you may want to pick up something for a snack or breakfast the night before as most won't be open at 7am (apart from Starbucks) http://www.bigot-kanazawa.com/shop/index.html

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

This isn't quite on topic, but (from your itinerary in another thread) I'm wondering why you are going all the way to Kanazawa from Kyoto, if you don't plan on doing/seeing anything there and your aim is really to go to Takayama and Shirakawa-go? Wouldn't it just be easier to go direct to Takayama from Kyoto and bus to Shirakawa-go from there? Or get to Kanazawa earlier to at least see the beautiful garden, if nothing else? Sorry if I've misunderstood your itinerary, but it seems a bit complicated, with a lot of travel for not much reward.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
286 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

Wow, great information regarding Kazanawa.

Mumplusone2012, I thought I would go to Kazanawa after a days site seeing in Kyoto. It seemed like an easier more direct route than the route to Takayama which takes longer and involves train changes. I would love to see the Kazanawa gardens but this is only mu first trip to Japan and I cannot see everything. Don't want to be too rushed.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

I really like Kanawaza and have made a point of going there on each trip to Japan. The garden is wonderful in every season and the samurai district is, in my albeit limited experience, more interesting than most others. There is an "open house" available to see at each of 3 class levels as well as houses from the pre-Meji period that are still lived in.

I thought Kanawaza more interesting and less touristy than Shirakawago (which seems worthwhile only if you go on a week day and stay the night) although there are also day tripping tours in Kanawaza so start sight seeing early.

I thought the "geisha district" was not worth a special trip although the near by shop where you can see how gold leaf is made was fascinating.

There is also an excellent Indian restaurant.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 11:39
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,877 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanazawa - Overnight hotel close to station

Trains changes at Nagoya isn't complicated at all, and the views from Ltd Exp Hida train running along the Kiso Valley is quite enjoyable. Visiting Kanazawa is a joy though, and yes travel by Ltd Exp Thunderbird is slightly more comfortable and faster involving less curves (plus it's an electric train instead of smelly diesel powered one). But you shouldn't decide things based on assumed complexity of rail travels in Japan (which is nothing compared to the pain of flights).

Edited: 06 July 2014, 14:28