We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

I am a bit worried about snow condition in Yuzawa. I have booked a hotel in Minaniounuma between Dec 20 to 23. I just checked SnowJapan.com and there is still NO snow! If there is still now snow or too little of it, our skiing trip will be ruined. Anybody has any experience to share about snowing condition in the Yuzawa area? Should I reconsider?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
1. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

Yuzawa real-time camera, click 3 pins

http://www.e-yuzawa.gr.jp/camera

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
190 reviews
2. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

you may consider skiing in Kagura/Tashiro, which is abt 20min uphill by bus from Yuzawa town.

have skiied there few times, incl last dec when the powder snow was impressive.

it's already open this yr !

http://www.princehotels.co.jp/ski/kagura/

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

what are my accommodation options in Kagura? Need somewhere close to the ski slopes. Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
190 reviews
4. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

if you want to stay close to the ski slopes, then you have to stay in Mitsumata area.

www.kagura-mitsumata.ne.jp/yado/index.html

ps. previously, i have stayed in either Yuzawa town where there are more choices of local restaurants or in Naeba PRince hotel.

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

Thanks DLi_hk and Hiromi. Since I will not be driving, any ideas how one fares if the place of accommodation is about 250 meters away from the ski resort on foot? Last time we stayed at the Angel Grandia and the ski lift is just right outside the hotel, making it exceptionally convenient with kids. I don't know what we will do with kids and ski equipments if there is a bit of a walk in the snow.

I have booked the Angel Grandia (next to the Nakazato Snow Wood Ski Resort) this time around as well, but snow condition looks dismal at the moment - unless some blizzards come in next week!

Looks like my only option is Kagura at the moment if we decide to stick to the Yuzawa area. I am also looking at Nozawa Onsen in Nagano. Since our dates are right before the Japanese holidays, we have some options in rooms still.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
190 reviews
6. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

walking in the snow with your gears for 250m is surely not a good idea, let alone for kids.

for ski-in/out, you may look at Naeba PRince hotel, as mentioned before, or Yakiba Prince in Shiga Kogen. Both are up in the mt., so greater chances to be snowing rather than raining, which happens to be the case for Yuzawa area this coming weekend, as per their forecast.

http://snow.gnavi.co.jp/guide/htm/r0046we.htm

due to strong el nino this yr, snowfall has been pretty dismal. eg. Kagura shud hv 1m+ normally by now but only 30cm :(

if you stay in Yuzawa area, you may check the snow conditions in Gala ski resort (just 2 JR stops away from where you stay) or Kagura when you check-in.

Good Luck !

ps. will be skiing in Hakuba in that week

Edited: 08 December 2015, 06:42
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,782 posts
190 reviews
7. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

another ski-in/out option is Karuizawa prince ski resort, if you don't mind man-made snow.

http://snow.gnavi.co.jp/guide/htm/r0129s.htm

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

Thanks DLi_hk, I also checked out Hakuba yesterday, but it seems SO far from Tokyo. Getting there already wears me out. I was looking at Nozawa Onsen and it seems more manageable. I was viewing live webcam images of various resorts, and Naeba didn't have much snow this morning. sigh.

HONG KONG
Level Contributor
205 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

Shiga Kogen seems a good idea,but getting there....

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
10. Re: Skiing in Yuzawa - snow condition

An idea is to wait.