We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any bus pass/ internet card or mobile line for students?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
any bus pass/ internet card or mobile line for students?

Hi, I will be staying at Shizouka prefecture for about one month for my internship at the hospital, i was wondering if there are any cheap bus pass or train pass i should get. Do they have discount for students at the university? Also, I was wondering if i should get any internet pre-paid and mobile pre-paid for two months. I will be travelling towards tokyo after my internship, so any recommendation?

2 replies to this topic
Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: any bus pass/ internet card or mobile line for students?

Are you going to commute on JR trains in Shizuoka? Yes, you can buy one month commuter pass with some amount of discount. Can you read Japanese language?

…jr-central.co.jp/ticket-rule/rule11.html

If not, ask “Tsukinn Teiki” at the JR station ticketing office. Bus companies also have similar passes: No company certificate, in your case, hospital ID may be required. I am sorry I did not commute for quite a long time. Student Pass has more discount, but you will need to have a certificate issued by school.

Are you going to commute to Tokyo everyday? If it is once a week, JR has coupon tickets with a little discount. If you can find a Ticket shop on the street of Shizuoka, that kind of coupon is sold with discount prices for piece by piece.

>I was wondering if I should get any internet pre-paid and mobile pre-paid for two months.

It is no easy to have an agreement or a contract with a telephone company just for two months, but you can if you like. If you are not a frequent internet user, free WiFi in Starbucks may help you to communicate thru internet.

If you can pay more, prepaid Pocket WiFi may be available at E-Mobile. However, I am still not sure how this company does the business. Sorry only Japanese.

http://mobile-prepaid.jp/

Another rental Pocket WiFi is available airports but it may be very expensive for two months.

I use a prepaid mobile phone since I am out of country from time to time. Only Softbank still has prepaid phones. Check to see the nearest Softbank telephone shop.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,011 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any bus pass/ internet card or mobile line for students?

You can buy the B-Mobile data SIM card, the local version - 1GB定額. U300, or カメレオンSIM. They are cheaper(per unit) and faster than the Visitor version. You can make calls using Skype or other VoIP app.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/lineup.html

You will need someone at work to activate the card for you.

Reply to: any bus pass/ internet card or mobile line for students?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted