We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryokan in Ito... is it worth it?

Which Ito hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Ryokan in Ito... is it worth it?

Hi, we're a family of four planning a trip to Japan in early March.

We are thinking of staying a night in Ito (we want to visit Kawazu for the cherry blossoms), and would like a ryokan experience.

We're thinking of staying at Yokikan in Ito. (It's rated the number one B&B/Inn in Ito, and has a rating of 4.5 on TA, so I'm guessing it's a good place to stay). It's 60,800 yen for four of us in a room, including dinner and breakfast. I'm not sure if this is a good price? How much is a typical ryokan dinner, and breakfast? Would like to know what we are paying for the room, and for the meals. I've provided the link below if that helps :)

http://www.yokikan.co.jp/english_top.html

Thanks.

6 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryokan in Ito... is it worth it?

How old are your children, and do they appreciate fine dining, i.e. not only good food but elegant presentation?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryokan in Ito... is it worth it?

the rate page - http://www.yokikan.co.jp/english_rate.html - gives you a good idea how much the food costs.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryokan in Ito... is it worth it?

Umm... I'm the child in the family. The youngest in fact. Hahah... 17yo, in case you're wondering.

We definitely appreciate good, high quality food... not too sure about 'fine' dining though. Our purpose of staying in a ryokan is to relax, have good meals, try an onsen, and just experience traditional Japan. From the chart, dinner+breakfast costs 6000yen per person... but... Would a ryokan charge us the same price for meals as a restaurant? I.e.- if Yokikan were operating as a restaurant and not as a ryokan, would they charge 6000 yen for dinner+breakfast? I would think that they'd charge us less than what we'd expect to pay for the same meal at a restaurant, since we are staying as guests? So, in other words, we are paying 6000 yen for two meals that would cost us more than 6000yen in a restaurant? Is this logical?

Edited: 15 January 2014, 19:45
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,716 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryokan in Ito... is it worth it?

No, it's not logical. Usually a decent ryokan serves multi-course kaiseki dinner and several dishes for breakfast. So 6,000yen is quite cheap, actually. In addition, according to their website, Yokikan serves meals in your room. That means somebody is going to carry all those dishes for you from the kitchen and treat you like a king. Not many ryokans serve meals in rooms any longer and it's a treat. 60,800yen/4 is a budget for low-mid ryokan and I'm surprised they serve meals in your room.

A ryokan experience is a package of a room, meals, onsen and service. You can't really put a price on one part.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,390 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryokan in Ito... is it worth it?

Well I looked at the plan(with pictures) which is ~15200 per person http://www.yokikan.co.jp/plan/category.html

And I can break it down as follows:

1/2 complimentary bottle sake 400

Kaiseki dinner 5000

in-room kaiseki service 1000

Breakfast 2000

And the room itself is only ~7000 what a bargain.

At other ryokans where kaiseki meal is optional, the minimum I've seen is 5000. Chain hotel basic Japanese breakfast is 1000.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryokan in Ito... is it worth it?

Just to keep the discussion going, anyone care to speculate how much a comparable onsen would cost for a day trip?

Reply to: Ryokan in Ito... is it worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ito
Recent Conversations