We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okayama day trip suggestions

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
170 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Okayama day trip suggestions

Hi

We are having 4 nights in Okayama, so far have the local sights plus a day at Kurashika and a day at Onomichi arranged. Would like 2 more day trip suggestions (We have been to Kyoto/Hiroshima/Nara/Himeji). I have been looking but most places of interest (Nagasaki ect) look a long way away for just a day, we like traditional towns nothing modern.

Thanks so much, travelling in November.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

Will you have a jR Pass? How about Matsuyama if you do and visit Dogo Onsen.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
170 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

Hi

thanks, I have looked it up and it looks beautiful (just the kind of place we love) but hoping not to have to buy a JR pass this time and also it is 3 hours away from Okayama so a bit far for a day trip and about $140 each way without the pass. Will put it on the list for next time though.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

Hi,

I am also planning a trip to okayama,

have you considered visiting the Kibi plains?

apparently it has a great cycling route

here someone whose done it:

gonomad.com/transports/…biking_in_japan.html

New Zealand
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

another option is kotohira on the island of shikoku, I think it is about 1hr by train from okayama

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
170 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

Thanks so much (I love Trip advisor), Kibi Plains sound lovely,will look in to it more, we are going in November so guess it will be cold.

I have looked up Kotohira which looks great, we wont have a JR pass so the fare is ¥1300 (plus ¥1150 for an unreserved seat), does anyone know if you have to pay the seat fee?? Have only travelled with the JR Pass so a bit unsure of the pricing on Hyperdia.

Thanks again

New Zealand
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

I am also travelling in November :)

I don't think I will actually do the cycling course as i'm not great on a bike but I will take the train to Kibitsu station and walk to Kibitsu shrine (about 15minutes walk I believe) and also If I have time visit the Saijo takamatsu shrine (aka Inaritakamatsu) from bitchutakamatsu station.

good luck planning your trip

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

Yes, you have to pay the seat fee (either unreserverd or reserved). In other words the fare is the total of the 2...it's not really a "seat fee" per se, but rather the amount you have to pay because it is a limited express.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,990 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

Tsuyama is a worthwhile side trip from Okayama. It is about 1.5 hr 1110 yen direct JR north of Okayama.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Tsuyama

jnto.go.jp/eng/…tsuyama.html

okayama-japan.jp/en/…345

Mentioned in this post
Tsuyama
Tsuyama
Okayama Prefecture, Japan
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

Maybe some ideas here:

jnto.go.jp/eng/…index.html

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
304 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Okayama day trip suggestions

Tomo no Ura; used to be a small fishing village and is now a small fishing village swallowed up by Fukuyama. apike.ca/japan_fukuyama_tomonoura.html. It's just a short bus ride from Fukuyama station. The bus stops in front of the tourist info center in Tomo no Ura, and I think they had English maps. (I speak Japanese, so I don't remember for sure.) It's got atmosphere + and very few tourists, Japanese or otherwise (at least when I was there in June 2008). There's a nice small museum, lots of shrines and temples (including one with a killer view of the Inland Sea), you can take a ferry over to the island just off the coast, watch the fishing boats, etc. Tomo no Ura was an important stop for visiting Korean delegations on their way to Edo.