We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

Corner of Earth
Level Contributor
456 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

Now that I've settled the air tickets and accomodations, it's time to think of FOOD!

I would like to have a good bowl of ramen, not spicy and not too salty (sharing with a 2 year old). Should I head to Republic or Alley? How different are the standard and pricing?

Also in Sapporo, are there any recommendations for a Genghis Khan BBQ? (that will bring back very nice memories of my first trip there many years back) I'll probably skip the buffet ones and opting for quality instead.

Do post any other food or shopping tips.

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

Ramen Alley is better for atmosphere.

Ramen Heiwa Koku is better for comfort; it's warmer and more spacious. It's also closer to shopping, because it's in the Esta/Bic Camera building at Sapporo Station, which has several malls.

The distinctive ramen of Sapporo is miso-ramen. You can find it at almost any ramen shop. (I prefer shio-ramen, whose broth tends to be less salty and less oily than miso-ramen or shoyu-ramen. Ramen is usually not spicy.)

For food, please check this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298560-i5079-k113…

For shopping please check this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298560-i5079-k116…

For jingisukan, I have heard of a good place south across the street from the Norbesa Building (the building with the Ferris Wheel in Susukino; Norbesa is at South 3 West 5). Amanda knows more about this. The place is on the second floor. I think it's about a "soup curry" restaurant.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

Good genghiskhan is

Yozojin

10th floor

My Plaza

The back door of NOrbesa Shopping Center (not Tully's coffee shops side, but where the ice crean shops is).

Cross the road.

There is a restaurant with a big red sign on the street level.

Just to the left there is a building entrance and a small elevator.

Go to the 20th floor. They also have a restauarnt on the 9th floor.

VERY popular - you really need to make a reservation - at weekends one of the staff speaks English. Otherwise There is no English menu - so just point and gesture.

Australian and Alaskan lamb

Hokkiado deer meat!!

best I've tasted so far...

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

the website with a good map is

www.yozojin.com

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

And a 10% off coupon is at

http://www.yozojin.com/coupon01.htm

Corner of Earth
Level Contributor
456 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

Thanks Amanda and Nessie for the recommendation and link.

Singapore
Level Contributor
249 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

We actually planned to feast on some ramen in Ramen Alley but a Japanese colleague of mine said that only tourists go to Ramen Alley for its ramen. Any comment on this?

Cheers!

BKK
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

Amanda,

What is the different of Yozojin between 9/10 floor?

I believe the version of Gengiskhan but which one you think is better?

Thank you.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

Yes...Ramen Alley is only for tourists and elederly Japanese visitors who remember its heyday...young people use their phones to connect to websites and find the latest, popular place.

Still popular is down the main street in Susukino, second turning on the left...you'll see the line of people outside day or night. Been like that for 5 years now.

The Genghis Khan place 9th and 10th floor....the difference is that the 10th floor has the views and the atmopshere of a big counter, tatami mats etc...the 9th floor is like a concrete bunker...10th floor has more variety of meats (deer is my fave), 9th floor is the more basic lamb BBQ regular restaurant.

9. Re: Ramen Republic or Ramen Alley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 22:18