We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I drive to Daisetsuzen in Asahidake?

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can I drive to Daisetsuzen in Asahidake?

My family and I are going to Hokkaido on 1 Jun 08 to 12 Jun 08. We plan to drive in Eastern Hokkaido.Is there anyone can advise me, is it possible for us to drive up to Daisetsuzen in Asahidake instead of hike or take cable car? Thanks.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I drive to Daisetsuzen in Asahidake?

You can drive to the base of the cable car and Asahidake - and get some kind of view. But why stop there? Take the cable car for best views!!!!! At the top you can do a 20 minute walk to more views - the real hiking starts beyond that.

Daisetsu is the name of the whole mountain range which covers a big area.

the two main access points are at Asahidake and at Sounkyou - both have cable cars up the mountains.

enjoy!

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I drive to Daisetsuzen in Asahidake?

Hi Amanda,

Thank you very much for your quick reply.I enjoyed reading your message in the forum.A few question to seek your advise :

1)You recommended Youth Hostel in Asahidake,Sounkyou and Utoro in the forums, are they good? These Youth Hostel suitable for family of 2 adults and 2 teen-ager? They don't have non-smoking room, does the room has cigarette's smell? I am worried because we have asthmatic problem. Could you please advise me and how to book the Youth Hostel thru' internet?

2)The moss pink park in Takinoe and tulip park in Kamiyubetsu still worth visit during 2 Jun to 4 Jun ? Some expert told me the full bloom of these flowers is about 2 weeks ago, by then I will only see the left over flowers? Is that true? I really like to see the flowers very much, any others places that I can see a lot of natural flowers bloom on the hills?

3) We will be arriving in Asahikawa on 2 Jun at 12:10pm, we will rent a car for our whole trip in easten Hokkaido until our departure on 11 Jun at 17:20 at Obihiro Airport. Shall we go to Biei town on 2 Jun or go to Daisetsuzan National Park?

4) Is there any interesting places to go in Obihiro?

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to read and reply my message.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,607 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I drive to Daisetsuzen in Asahidake?

Hi there

Youth Hostels

This is the website

http://www.jyh.or.jp/

I think they are VERY good places to stay in Hokkaido, because you really get a feel for the nature locally, the hikes and the countryside - you meet people who are hiking and cycling, birdwatching and fishing. YH staff are very friendly.

In Hokkaido most of the YH are old and not so smart - but they have family rooms and no smoking policies in the rooms...

It is difficult to say without knowing you of course, but I think YH are a very good way to stay in Hokkiado - casual, friendly places with lots of info about the nature locally.

i've stayed in Sounkyou...you get discount tickets to use the baths in the big hotels nearby - and I've stayed in Utoro - deer in the car park and we saw a bear at 8 pm on the road 10 minutes from the hostel door...

Your other questions-

Yes, I think Bie would be a good stop onthe first night...or drive up to Asahidake and stay...both about the same distance really from the airport.

Obihiro - not really much to see...a big city in the

middle...

um...is that everything?

ahh.. pink moss..again I am not sure..everything this year is advanced because we had warm spring weather...but you'll find flowers all over in June...once you get here Tourist Offices have flower maps etc...

4. Re: Can I drive to Daisetsuzen in Asahidake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 20:19