We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Days in Hokkaido with Small Children

Shanghai
4 posts
Save Topic
6 Days in Hokkaido with Small Children

Hi. We are going to Hokkaido the first week of August. Please let me know what you think of the following schedule:

Day 1: Shanghai to New Chitose Airport, stay in Furano

Day 2: Sightsee from Furano to Asahikawa, stay in Asahikawa

Day 3: Visit zoo, travel to and stay in Sapporo

Day 4: Visit Otaru, travel to and stay in Noboribetsu

Day 5: Sightsee around Noboribetsu

Day 6: Travel from Noboribetsu to New Chitose Airport for flight back to Shanghai

We haven't decided whether to rent a car. We hope to travel mostly by JR. Is it convenient to travel from the airport directly to Furano by JR? Our kids are 2 and 4.5. I don't want our schedule to be too tight, but I would like to see all of these places.

Thanks in advance!!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Asahikawa
Asahikawa
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Noboribetsu
Noboribetsu
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Days in Hokkaido with Small Children

Hi there

your schedule looks fine to me...only thought is that the first day depends on how late your flight from Tokyo/Osaka gets in to Chitose.

You could do this by train in fact - JR Hokkaido have special traintickets for a few days travel like this, and there are special tickets for 3 days between Chitose and Furano and the surroundi8ng area.

You could do Noboribetsu by bus from Sapporo easily, many of the big hotels have shuttle buses for guests - or their are public buses. And then to the airport too.

I suggest looking at the JR Hokkaido Rail website

http://www.jrhokkaido.co.jp/

the Furano area tickets allow use of buses etc for seeing the flowers too....

getting acra in this season so late might be hard now, you should concentrate on hotels. I think your kids might enjoy the trains - there is even a special Animal train for the zoo!

amanda

Mentioned in this post
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Chitose
Chitose
Hokkaido, Japan
JR Hokkaido
JR Hokkaido
63 Reviews
Hokkaido, Japan
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Noboribetsu
Noboribetsu
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Shanghai
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Days in Hokkaido with Small Children

Thanks Amanda!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Days in Hokkaido with Small Children

JR runs a special Ltd. Exp. Asahiyama Zoo Train from Sapporo to Asahiyama Zoo in the summer. It may be fun for the kids. The train is decorated inside-out on an "animal theme", even has a playroom inside one of the compartments. It runs on weekends from June to October, but from late July to end of August, it runs everyday.

chick on Travel Info., www.jrhokkaido.co.jp

Mentioned in this post
Asahiyama Zoo Train
Asahiyama Zoo Train
18 Reviews
Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
4. Re: 6 Days in Hokkaido with Small Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 04:18