We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Hokkaido in Late March

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Driving in Hokkaido in Late March

Hi all,

Hope to get some advise on driving in Hokkaido. I wish to drive from Sapporo -> Furano -> Obihiro -> Kushiro. However, my driving experience in Hokkaido is only in Autumn, and I do not know how is it like to drive in Late March. But, I really hope to see the snow scenery in Hokkaido :)

Hope to get some advise. Thanks!

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Hokkaido in Late March

Hard to say...every season is different.

But this is central and east Hokkaido. End of March the major highways are clear of snow, but early monring and after 4 pm they are icy...so places like the Hidaka mountains and Soukyou Gorge become more dangerous.

Of course you could cross to Kushiro by train and get the rental car there. Then you can go looking for red crested cranes and the onsen at Lake Akan etc.

You have to drive carefully and slowly, leaving lots of space with the car in front.

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Hokkaido in Late March

Hi Amanda,

Thank you so much for your advise. I guess I will have to make sure the rental car has snow tyre equipped. And also drive really slow as well :)

However, is it a must to chain the tyre up?

Regards,

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Hokkaido in Late March

No cars have chains in Japan now.

All cars are 4-wheel drive and have special winter tires.

Carfully is the main thing. The expressway to Asahikawa should be snow free by then...but there are still heavy snowfalls in March sometimes and am and pm are the icy times.

Don't plan an overambitious schedule so you arrive everywhere by about 4 pm...because it is getting dark too.

amanma

4. Re: Driving in Hokkaido in Late March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 06:22