We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free tour round Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Free tour round Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo

Are you going to be in Sapporo Wednesday, July 30th?

Planning to visit Hokkaido Shrine in Maruyama park?

Would you like a FREE English speaking guide?

Yes to all of the above?

Some volunteer guides I've been working with recently are going to do a training morning at Hokkaido Shrine with Endo-san, a local guide.

They would love some real visitors to practice with!

Contact me directly (click on the Local Expert words) and I'll tell you the meeting place and time.

It'll take about an hour.

Amanda

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
17 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free tour round Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo

Hi Amanda,

I am Lilian and my husband and my daughter will be going to Sapporo from 30th July to 2nd August. My husband will be going for the Lung Cancer conference in Sapporo from 1st to 2nd August. We want to visit the lavender farm in Furano but so far I am not able to find any tour info from the net....is it possible for you to recommend any tour company ie bus tour for the Lavender farm and its surrounding tourist area.

My daughterand I will be free on Friday 1st August to tour the Sapporo town. Can you help us?

Thank you

Regards, Lilian

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free tour round Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo

Hi there

Chuo Bus have bus tours every day to Furano - you can make a reservation at the counter on the south side of Sapporo Railway Station (up the steps near the taxi stand). Or your hotel can make a reservation I am sure.

http://www.chuo-bus.co.jp/

JR Hokkaido also have Furano area soecial tickets,

www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/index.html

If you would like a guide for Sapporo City contact the tourist information counters at the station or airport, or the International Plaza on the third floor of the building opposite the Clock Tower.

Amanda

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
17 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free tour round Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo

Dear Amanda,

Thank you for the websites that you have posted. Very useful and informative! Thank you very much! Any idea on scrapbooking stores in Sapporo?

Thank you once again.

Rgds,

Lilian

Ontario
Level Contributor
449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free tour round Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo

I was there in January 2000 and saw a dance performance of ritual offerings by the shrine maidens to the accompaniment of flute and drum. I don't know if it's a regular event, but it was beautiful and something I had not been able to witness so fully and completely at any other shrine I have been to in Japan--not even at Ise Jingu. The priest allowed me to videotape the entire performance. If this is available, it's unforgettable.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free tour round Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo

a) what IS "scrapbooking stores"???!!

b) you were lucky to see the shrine dancing - wow...I think often if you are at the less well known shrines the staff are more laid back and happy to share their routines.

People in sapporo also take their new cars to the shrine for a blessing - they park in front of the main steps and the priest in full costume comes donw to wave the insense and bamboo sticks over the car bonnet.

amanda

6. Re: Free tour round Hokkaido Shrine, Sapporo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 07:17