We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is anyone familiar with Takasu near Asahikawa?

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
977 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Is anyone familiar with Takasu near Asahikawa?

HI, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this town in like? We are planning on spending a year there for work with 3 small children. I am a bit concerned that it is in the middle of nowhere. Is the nature pretty there? Are there any onsen, or onsen towns nearby? I have tried googling it without much success, so any tips would be gratefully recieved!!

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is anyone familiar with Takasu near Asahikawa?

Never been there, but if it's near Asahikawa, then there will be onsens and spectacular nature pretty much guarranteed. In the middle of nowhere? That's also guaranteed.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is anyone familiar with Takasu near Asahikawa?

Have you seen this town website?

http://www.town.takasu.hokkaido.jp/

It isn't so far from Asahikawa...this is a very beautiful part of Hokkaido, with the Daisetsu National Park on your doorstep, skiing, hiking, camping and onsen...

Asahikawa is a big city with a lot of eating and shopping - and an airport which links to the rest of Japan. There are quite a few foerigners in the area too, mainly English teachers of course...some people doing farming...and a lot of Russians involved in car dealing and adult entertainment...

Asahikawa has an international section that helps foreign residents get involved in the local community.

LOTS of snow...and very very cold...be warned!

amanda

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is anyone familiar with Takasu near Asahikawa?

and this one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takasu,_Hokkaido

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
977 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is anyone familiar with Takasu near Asahikawa?

Thank you so much for your advice...so the nature is beautiful but it is super cold. We live in sunny old Australia and have just 'suffered' our most bitter winter in 40 years, and I think the temperatures got down to 0 at night. Brrrrr.....how do the locals deal with the cold in Takasu? How would foreigners like us cope? Do you think we could manage? How long does it stay cold for? Are there places to go with little kids when the weather is fully cold outside? Indoor play areas? I can't imagine the houses are very large there or that they can play very much inside...is that right?

Thank you again for your help!!

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is anyone familiar with Takasu near Asahikawa?

I imagine as you'd be coming on the exchange program into this town that you'd get a nice house/apartment - up here they are bigger than the image of japanese homes...

play indoors? no! everyone gets OUT to play in the snow!!!!!

It's a personal thing of course whether you can do a complete climate change...but I'd remind you that about 30 mins drive away is a large city with Macdonalds, movie theaters, sports centers, department stores...an amazing snow festival in Februray...I can't remember...but there may be a Starbucks in Asahikawa too...

Takasu is a small town - but you are not cut off from modern life.

Can you talk to Australians who have been on the program before?

Friends who have done this kind of thing in the past have had more issues with the lack of interesting work/responsibility...and the lack of privacy being the only foreigners in town in a society where everyone knows your business.

WHAT work will you be coming too? Teaching how many hours or (more Likely) sitting in the town office making posters of kuala bears...

amanda

6. Re: Is anyone familiar with Takasu near Asahikawa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 16:18