We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good and cheap food or buffet

noisyplanet
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good and cheap food or buffet

Hello

Anyone has any recommendation on where to go for good and cheap food or buffet in either Hakodate or Sapporo?

Also, where can i get this mint ointment which has the website in Japanese only at www.hakka.be ? I was told that the ointment is good for headache, stomachache etc? Not sure if it is true?

Thanks for your advise in advance.

NP

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

Hi NP

There are so many eating places in Sapporo it's hard to say...top of the ESTA/BIC Camera department store on the south side of Sapporo Station - there is a "village" of different ramen restaurants.

Susukino is the main night area of sapporo - just walk and look ...loads and loads of places of all prices.

The mint ointment - I think i've seen this in many drug stores...maybe even in conveniences stores. Just print out the pic from the website and bring it with you. Show it around. I think it's very common.

amanda

noisyplanet
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

Hi Amanda

Thank you for your recommendation. I shall try that out in that village you mentioned.

Cheers

NP

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

Buffets?

See my food reccomendations posts.

JR Tower has a great lunch buffet with a great view. Excellent bread, and Asian and Western cuisine. A little pricey, at about 1800 or 2000 yen.

A cheaper one is at the Renaissance Hotel (1300 yen?; take the restaurant flyer from the hotel lobby for a 10% discount on the buffet). There is also an all-you-can-eat restaurant of organic Japanese food in the Stella Dining floor of Stella Places in JR Sapporo Station and at the top of Tokyu Department Store one block south of JR Sapporo Station. There are all-you-can-eat-and-drink deals all over. For atmosphere, the one above the MacDonald's in Susukino (South 3 West 4; 3rd floor) is good.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

Hi, am now at Yokohama and will be moving to Hokkaido this weekend. Anyway just to show some of the info I have found from this forum. I think the info was given by Nessie sometime back. Hope it is useful.

Eating @ Sapporo

ABURIYA – Japanese pub food – 3000 yen to 5000 yen

(Tanukikouji South 5 West 3; Odori or Susukino subway station)

For real Hokkaido food – not the touristy corn and potatoes – this is the place. Aburiya serves sushi, salmon, sea urchin and vegetables from around the prefecture, cooked in simple, honest Japanese style. “Aburiya” means “the grilling place,” and you must not leave without trying the charbroiled maitake-beikon-maki, (mushrooms wrapped with bacon). For broiled fish, ask for the daily catch (honjitsu-no-yakizakana). The yakitori skewers of chicken (torikushi) and pork (butakushi) are wonderful, and the salad plates and grilled eggplant (yakinasu) give you a chance to shift into vegetable gear. Sashimi plates (sashimi moriawase) are great, too. This restaurant combines the casual atmosphere of an after-work eatery with the cuisine of a fine restaurant. It’s in the Tanukikoji shopping arcade; look for the green awning and the double flight of descending steps. The menu is challenging and the brisk, backslapping pace can make ordering a bit daunting, but the food and atmosphere make it worth the effort. Dinner with beer is 3,000 to 5,000 yen per person. Photos on the Japanese homepage: www.aburiya.com/tanuki/menu/menu.htm

YAGUMO – soba noodles – 600 yen to 1000 yen

(JR Sapporo Station, Paseo west, B1)

Buckwheat noodles from 600 to 1000 yen. Good for lunch or a casual dinner. For heartiness, try the katsutouji soba (breaded fried pork over noodles in a bonito-soy broth) or the kogane soba (tempura shrimp, grilled rice cake and spinach over noodles in the same broth). Add 100 yen for ohmori (extra noodles). No English menu, but plastic models and lots of foreign-friendliness. Crowded at lunch, but the tables turn over quickly. There’s table seating, and tatami floor seating for active kids.

SHABU-ZEN – shabu-shabu, sukiyaki, Korean BBQ – all-you-can-eat from 2000 yen

(Robinson department store, 7F, South 4 West 4; Susukino Subway Station)

Shabu-shabu is the sound of thinly sliced beef and vegetables being swished through simmering water and the name for that style of cooking. No English menu here, but Shabu-zen has four all-you-can-eat options to make ordering easy. For your group, choose from shabu-shabu, sukiyaki, suki-shabu (half sukiyaki, half shabu-shabu) and yaki-shabu (half Korean barbecue and half shabu-shabu). I recommend the half-and-half deals for their variety. These come with vegetables. It’s all-you-can-eat, so keep ordering trays of meat or vegetables until you’ve had your fill. The dinners are priced according to the quality of beef, with the basic grade costing 2,000 yen per diner. Drinks are extra. I think there may be an all-you-can-eat-and-drink deal. Shabu-zen is at the top of the Robinson department store, immediately above the Susukino Subway Station (Nanboku Line). If your daughters like meat, they’ll have a great time cooking at the table here.

TOKUMARU – yakitori

(South 3 West 9; Odori or Susukino subway station)

I’m still discovering gems like Tokumaru, a yakitori pub two blocks west of the Tanukikoji shopping arcade. Although it opened in 1997, the black wooden building looks much older. The yakionigiri (grilled rice balls) are the fluffiest I’ve ever had, and the yakitori (grilled skewered meat) is top-notch. I recommend the tsukune (minced chicken), which comes with a tangy plum sauce. There’s also oden: vegetables or tofu simmered in a delicate fish broth. No English menu, but the choices are typical of yakitori and the waiters are helpful; if necessary, ask for recommendations (osusume). Tokumaru is in a quiet neighborhood six minutes on foot from the Odori and Susukino subway stations. Open 6 p.m. to 11:20 p.m.

OTOYA – Japanese lunch and dinner sets – 600 yen to 800 yen

(JR Sapporo Station, Esta, 10F; Sapporo Subway Station)

Very reasonable lunch and dinner sets (teishoku) from 600 to 800 yen for students, housewives and families. These cover Japanese, Chinese and Western dishes, but all are done with a Japanese sensibility. I recommend any of the broiled fish sets (yakizakana teishoku) or the pork over rice (buta-don), but the picture menu goes well beyond those and is easy to navigate. The tofu steak’s another good choice: firm, smooth tofu in a sauce of minced chicken and shimeji mushrooms. Order the self-serve “drink bar” of soft drinks separately. There’s also a separate drink bar for teas. This is an affordable, comfortable place whose picture menu makes for stress-free dining. Your girls will love it.

RAMEN KYOWAKOKU

(JR Sapporo Station, Esta, 10F)

A food court devoted entirely to ramen. It’s on the same floor as Otoya, above. The three kinds of ramen broth are soy sauce (shoyu), salt (shio) and miso. Sapporo is famous for miso ramen. My personal preference is for the lighter salt broth, so I like the ramen shop called Ajisai here, which specializes in that style. This is closer to Chinese ramen.

SKY J RESTAURANT – buffet

(JR Tower at JR Sapporo Sta., 35F; lunch buffet; about 2000 yen)

A fine buffet at the top of Sapporo’s tallest building. The food is pan-Asian, plus Western and some Japanese. Your kids will love the views north to Ishikari Bay and south and west to the mountains. You may need to reserve a table that morning or the day before (phone 011-251-6377). The buffet is less crowded after 1PM. The staff have limited English but are foreigner friendly. For an extra 500 yen, the buffet includes all the wine you can drink. Dishes are marked with signs in Japanese and English.

HEIROKUZUSHI – conveyor-belt sushi – 1100 yen

(South 5 West 3, Touhou Kouraku Kaikan Bldg., 1F)

If your girls like sushi, they’ll have great fun here. The sushi rides on plates whose color designates the price, from 105 yen to 346 yen. Start with green tea. Take a teabag and a cup from the counter and add hot water from the spigots there. Then take whatever sushi grabs your fancy, or shout out an order from the bilingual photo menu. I recommend the kappa-maki (cucumber rolls; these are made to order; just holler it out), bin toro (a medium-fatty cut of tuna), aburi-samon (raw salmon with a lightly grilled surface), and anago (conger eel steeped in soy sauce and grilled). The beef .tongue sushi is a specialty of Sendai City, the headquarters of this chain. The Susukino branch is my favorite people-watching spot in Sapporo. Grab a counter seat and you’ll be elbow to elbow with nightclub hostesses fresh from the club, white-collar workers sobering up on their way home, university students demolishing stacks of fish, and housewives trading neighborhood news. Open from noon until 5 a.m. Look for the swirling logo in red, green and purple.

SUSHI-ZEN – upscale sushi – from 5200 yen

(North 1 West 27)

Japanese don’t consider conveyor-belt sushi to be “real” sushi. Go to Sushi-zen and you’ll see why. The sushi here is on a whole different level. It’s not cheap, but it’s miles better value than any sushi you’ll get in Tokyo. The 12-piece assortment here costs about 5200 yen and is plenty for one person. Save this as your splurge.

Btw, I heard that you could find wonderful Ramen @ Ramen Valley? Any idea is Ramen Valley a road name and can it be found on Sapporo maps?

noisyplanet
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

Thanks, Thanks to Extremme and Nessie for all the wonderful information on where to eat in Sapporo. I will print out your recommendation and bring it along my trip. : )

noisyplanet
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

Oh Extremme, forgotten your question of ramen valley. If not wrong, according to Amenda, it is at the top most floor of ESTA/BIC Camera department store on the south side of Sapporo Station - there is a "village" of different ramen restaurants. Enjoy and hv a wonderful trip!

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

The ramen food court is in the restaurant list above: Ramen Kyouwa-koku, which means "the Republic of Ramen."

If you're on a tight budget, there are also cafeterias in public buildings: City Hall (Japanese: Shi-yakusho), B1, at Odori West 1; and the Hokkaido Goverment Building (Japanese: Doucho), B1, at North 3 West 6, a grey building just behind the big red brick building at that address. Both of these cafeterias are open to the public. They servce cheap lunch sets of soba noodles, rice, pork cutlets, curry, etc.

BKK
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

Any recommended Crab Buffet?

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

No crab buffets, but there are all-you-can-eat crab deals (Japanese: kani-tabehoudai). Amanda is more familiar with these.

Maybe at Kani Shogun or Kani Honten, both in Susukino. Or ask at the Sapporo Station tourist office.

BKK
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Good and cheap food or buffet

Thanks Nessie 3