We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souvenir Shopping

Guam
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Souvenir Shopping

I have plans to load up on packaged ramen and white chocolate sweets as souvenirs on my trip. However, our trip starts at Sapporo and ends at Noboribetsu (then straight to New Chitose).

Should i buy all the souvenirs in Sapporo and lug them around with me for next 7 days or just buy them at the Airport when we leave?

Is there a huge price difference between buying at Sapporro vs buying at Airport?

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souvenir Shopping

No

Buy them at the airport, it has more shops than anywhere else in Hokkaido!

Japan
Level Contributor
249 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souvenir Shopping

I second this! The Sapporo airport is a fantastic place to shop and most of the items, as far as I can tell, are priced pretty much the same regardless where you buy them. I love leaving from Chitose.

The airport is like all of Hokkaido in one convenient place (well, for souvenirs, food, that is). It is rather big, so give your self enough time to look around. Lots of samples to taste too.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,166 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souvenir Shopping

There is one shop at Tanuki-koji that offers a lower price than the airport (tax-free and discount on items such as Ishiya). However, unless you are buying a lot, I don't think it's worth the effort.

Note that at the airport, you can buy Ishiya and other candies/cookies after going through immigration and you will save the 5% tax. However, on other less popular items such as Ramen, you need to buy those before immigration. The disadvantage after immigration is then all of the stuff you buy become carry-on.

Guam
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souvenir Shopping

Thank you everyone for your replies!! They're most helpful!

Does anyone know of any "Must-buys" that are not sold in airport and are exclusive to certain cities? E.g. limited edition hello kitty etc?

5. Re: Souvenir Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 15:17