We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

France
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

Do you know by chance if it is possible to rent ski (and shoes) in Asahidake Onsen in early January?

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

Wherever there's skiing, there will be ski rentals.

France
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

Good point! But the owner of the lodge where I am going told me that there was none that he knew. The place is in a middle of a natural parc without skilifts, you need to climb walk the mountain before getting down...

This message is just in case somebody may have a good idea to help me.

Thank you

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

HI there

I looked at the Snow Japan website - no ski rental at Asahidake.

You can probably rent from a sports shop in Asahikawa...or Sapporo. Asahidake is really a few lifts on the biggest mountain raneg in Hokkaido, a few lodges and a LOT of snow....

amanda

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

off the main trail would be extremely dangerous without a guide

France
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

Cheers Amanda

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

I have not been for 2 years, but there were no hires when I was. If you know what you are doing, you'll have a top time. If not, stick to the paths below the treeline if you're shoeing, as the weather can change quickly and the terrain can be a bit difficult.

If you're skiing, try a guided day with Chuck from Hokkaido Powder Guides: http://www.hokkaidopowderguides.com Really worth it to get the lie of the land.

Its one of my favs on the planet. We're heading back this year.

Have fun!!!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

PS - If you do head off piste, you will definitely need your own safety gear - beacon, probe and shovel. The Diatzen National Park gets a lot of snow.

If you stick to the trails, you will not need the safety gear.

On hires generally, I am not an expert, but I note that around Furano I do not know anywhere that hires fatter skis (ie. waiste 100m or more) or skis with randonee bindings. I do not know anywhere in Asahikawa at all. There probably is somewhere, I just do not know.

There is some good lifted skiing around Furano too - but I personally do not like Furano resort. Too many rules.

You're gonna love it!!!

Asahikawa, Japan
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

Asahidake-- this is my territory and I am chilling at work with time on my hands. I live 30kilos from Asahidake-- it is my favorite ski spot.

there are NO lifts, only one Ropeway that will run 3800yen for an all day ticket. first ropeway is at 9am, if you are a powder junkie I HIGHLY recommend getting on that first run up.

No rentals there-- but like others said in asahikawa there are rental shops im sure. other options are renting from Furano and lugging the skis up, but I dont know where you are staying.

notes about asahidake. the main course is easy, decent amounts of flats, very scenic, but a bit boring in my opinion. Should eb noted that I think you can rent avalanche beacons at the ropeway station.... but if you are stickign to the groomed trail its unnecessary. (my opinion, if you die in the snow dont let your family sue me.)

the expert courses and off piste is where asahidake shines. powder over your head... and its light, very very light... like water skiing. but.. take care on those runs. trees, rocks, and avalanche danger, though january isnt incredibly prone to avalanches.. this winter has been weird, warmer than last year.

oh- on the subject of furano and fat skis, you can rent them there. but as i dont rent skis, i dont know the details.

an alternative is Kamui Ski links, they have rentals, its not a resort, but more of a local mt, not too heavily populated- lax policy about off piste and good snow fall, (except this year...but my jan it should be solid.) one day pass is 3000yen.

Asahikawa, Japan
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

i forgot, if you go to asahidake, call them up before you go, they close the ropeway if there are high winds.

10. Re: Asahidake Onsen - Ski rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 07:20