We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akan Sightseeing Bus

Singapore
12 posts
Save Topic
Akan Sightseeing Bus

Hi

I intend to travel from Abashiri to Akanko by the Akan Sightseeing bus on the 29 Jan 09, can I check does the Akan Sightseeing bus operate in Jan or only from 1 Feb?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Crystal

Japan
Level Contributor
132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akan Sightseeing Bus

http://www.akanbus.co.jp/sightse/w003.html

January 2-march 20 everyday

Start Abashiri station AM10:00

Arrive Akan LAke PM3:35

one way 4000yen

Anyway another choice to go Akan lake from Abashiri station

JR kaisoku shiretoko

Start Abashiri station AM10:01

Arrive Masyuu station AM11:54

one way 1980 yen

akan bus

Masyuu station PM2:35

Akan lake PM3:35

one way 1340 yen

no doubt that area will be freezing the date ,becareful

Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Akan Sightseeing Bus

Hi

The Akan bus website is updated and the sightseeing bus that run from Abashiri to Akanko will only start from 1 Feb 09 but i need to get from Abashiri to Akanko on 29 Jan 09.

Can anyone help me how to get from Abashiri to Akanko? Is there any sightseeing bus other than akan bus?

Thanks and appreciate if you can help.

Crystal

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akan Sightseeing Bus

I think your best bet would be to go by train from Abashiri to Mashu or Kawayu Onsen. Then a local bus or a taxi. It will be about 40 mins to 1 hour in winter.

Or...I think there are more local buses from Kushiro or from Kitami stations to Lake Akan - it will take you a few hours to do this and there may only be a few buses a day.

I could start calling local tourist offices for you to find out, but I think it's best to wait until you get here and then ask. Abashiri Tourist Office are friendly people...and if you are in sapporo earlier in the holiday you can find out too.

It won't be an easy trip, but I think it's doable via either Kushiro or Kitami.

amanda

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akan Sightseeing Bus

and I had another thought overnight.

From Abashiri town get a bus to Memambetsu Airport (20 mins), then I am pretty sure there are buses from the airport to Akan.It is probably a 90 minute drive.

Does anyone else know?

Amanda

Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Akan Sightseeing Bus

Hi Amanda

Thanks for your advice, because of the difficulty, I have changed my Akan stay to 31 Jan 09 so that I can take the Akan Sightseeing bus to Abashiri on 1 Feb 09, have to pay extra 3,000Yen though..because 31 Jan is a Sat.

As such I have worked my trip the other way;

Sapporo to Obihoro to Tokachigawa-onsen (TOKACHIGAWA-ONSEN DAIICHI HOTEL)

Tokachigawa-onsen to Akanko(NEW AKAN HOTEL)

Akanko to Abashiri (Hotel Abashirikoso)

Abashiri to Sapporo

I have the following qns if you are able to help me bec of my no knowledge of Japanese.

1) What is the best way to get from Tokachigawa-onsen to Akanko beside bus-ObihiroJR-bus-KushiroJR?

2) Can I book the Akan Sightseeing bus at JR Tourist Counter at Sapporo?

3) For local bus from Obihiro JR to Tokachigawa-onsen , where do i book the bus? Can I book from JR Tourist Counter in Sapporo or I have to buy at Obihiro?

4) For local bus from Kushiro JR to Akanko , where do i book the bus? Can I book from JR Tourist Counter in Sapporo or I have to buy at Kushiro?

5) Can I book Sightseeing Icebreaker, Aurora at JR Tourist Counter in Sapporo?

Thanks

Cystal

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akan Sightseeing Bus

Hi Crystal,

Sounds like a good plan, even though you have to pay a bit more for the saturday stay.

Sapporo to Obihoro to Tokachigawa-onsen (TOKACHIGAWA-ONSEN DAIICHI HOTEL)

Tokachigawa-onsen to Akanko(NEW AKAN HOTEL)

Akanko to Abashiri (Hotel Abashirikoso)

Abashiri to Sapporo

I have the following qns if you are able to help me bec of my no knowledge of Japanese.

1) What is the best way to get from Tokachigawa-onsen to Akanko beside bus-ObihiroJR-bus-KushiroJR?

I think this IS the best way. Unless you have private transport.

Bus from the hotel to Obihiro Station (25 mins)

Train Obihiro to Kushiro (90 mins?...I forget)

Kushiro to Akan by bus (90 mins-2 hours)

2) Can I book the Akan Sightseeing bus at JR Tourist Counter at Sapporo?

Probably yes, you can at least ask them and see.

3) For local bus from Obihiro JR to Tokachigawa-onsen , where do i book the bus? Can I book from JR Tourist Counter in Sapporo or I have to buy at Obihiro?

Not necessary to book it, Tokachigawa is really a suburb of Obihiro, there are many public buses.

4) For local bus from Kushiro JR to Akanko , where do i book the bus? Can I book from JR Tourist Counter in Sapporo or I have to buy at Kushiro?

sapporo Tourist Office can advise, or at Kushiro .

5) Can I book Sightseeing Icebreaker, Aurora at JR Tourist Counter in Sapporo?

Yes, but best to wait and see what the ice condition is like when you get nearer - this is one of those natural sights that sometimes is there...and the next day it isn't. You can check on the Internet and local Tv news announces the current conditions etc. Not muh point in pre-booking a tour and then going there for a 2 hour boat trip on ice-free sea! (as I had to do 2 years ago...)

If you can do it from Abashiri there are tours that go down the coast by train and then out from Shari or Utoro by boat, where there is more chance to see ice than from Abashiri itself.

But again I would leave it until you are In Hokkaido before booking because if the winter is warm, the ice will be too far out to see.

amanda

7. Re: Akan Sightseeing Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 07:17