We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

My 8 year-old and I will be in Hokkaido in July. I don't want to rent a car, so need to go somewhere nice and easy to get to, but interesting and somewhat elegant. We want to walk in nature, so a quiet, lovely place is what we need. Any ideas, please, please?

We don't speak Japanese, but are open to small places with rates under USD500.00 per night.

Thank you!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,786 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Hokkaido is a huge island so you need to pick a city or town first. See the following link and determine what interests you first:

http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1101.html

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

I was hoping to go really far north (by train), but came upon some info about a hotel in Otaru called Neuschloss. It's by the sea and it looks quite nice, so that's probably where we'll go. Next time with more days available), I'd really like to go far north near the Russian islands.

Thank you!!!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,786 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Neuschloss is very much a western style hotel with nice rooms. It serves a western menu as well. The views are spectacular.

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Hello and thank you!

I just heard about another hotel called "Kuramure". Do you know of it? It seems more Japanese style, so now I'm really leaning toward it. I'm hoping that from there, we can walk to the seaside village and around the area.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,786 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Kuramure is at Asarigawa and not near the seaside village. Asarigawa is about 30 minutes by bus from JR Otaru station. If you are going to stay at that area, Kourakuen is another ryokan at that area that gets good reviews too.

www.otaru-kourakuen.com/english/index.html

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Hi there

Neuschloss is a modern concrete buuilding very near an amusepark and a popular (so in Japan NOISY) aquarium...

I'd recommend you go to Biei - this is in the middle of Hokkaido, a beautiful rural area at the foot of the biggest mountainrange and in July full of flower farms and a place for bike rides and hikes.

Here is the local website

http://www.biei-hokkaido.jp/en/index.html

Most of the hotels/guest houses here are actually Western style - because for Japanese toyrists this is different and interesting, but the menus are local foods and life is laid back.Hotels will pick guests up at Biei station - and there are bus and train links to Furano/Asahikawa and the Daisetsu mountains.

For quality in this area you should check out the two auberges - Auberge Hermitage (where the manager speaks English and the food is macrobiotic) or Auberge Tefutefu...where I think there is a little English...but a simple fax in English as a rexervatiojn would be ok.

happy hunting!

amanda

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Thank you for telling me about Biei. I will read about it and consider it. I'm currently confused, but thanks to you two, am understanding more.

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,786 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Again, be sure to check out the Japan Guide site. It is one of the easiest sites to find information about visiting Japan, and the information is always updated.

I suggest you read the Hokkaido travel guide on there, paying attention to the recommended sites as denoted by the number of stars, then figure out how to build an itinerary from there.

A good site for train schedule and fares to help you plan:

http://www.hyperdia.com

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Dear Sammyfloyd,

I have been reading the Japan Guide you recommended early on. Somehow, I failed to do so then... You're right- it's full of information, especially about hotels. Thanks!!1

Auburn, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best Hokkaido ryokan/hotel for 4 nights in July?

Thanks to Amanda and Sammyfloyd! I decided to stay at Neuschloss in Otaru. Waking up to a sea view and having a seaside walking path nearby seems nice. I think my son will like the aquarium and we're both sushi lovers, which seems to be a specialty in Otaru.

If we go to Hokkaido again someday, we'll go to Biei.

I'll write up my experience here when we return.

Thanks!