We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip next month to Hokkaido, I would like any comments or suggestions to my draft itenarary!

Transportation passes - 3 day JR Hokkaido pass (15000 yen), 3 day Mazda Special car rental for weekend (7000 yen)

Day 1 - New Chitose Airport to Sapporo at 8pm, stay 1 night in Sapporo

Day 2 - Day trip to Otaru (day pass), return to Sapporo for hotel

Day 3 - JR pass to Lake Toya and Noboribetsu, stay at Onsen hotel in Noboribetsu

Day 4 - JR pass to Hakodate, tour Hakodate and stay 1 night

Day 5 - Visit Hakodate Morning market, then JR pass return to Sapporo, pick up rental car, drive to Furano. Stay at Furano cottage.

Day 6 - Drive to Tomita Farm and surrounding sight seeing sites, drive to Asahikawa zoo. Stay 1 night at Asahikawa.

Day 7 - Drive back to Sapporo to return rental car, spend the rest of the day in Sapporo, stay in Sapporo hotel.

Day 8 - Sapporo to New Chitose Airport

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,059 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

I suggest you cut Hakodate. It's out of the way and you are spending too much time to get to/from there. As a result, you don't have enough time a Furano, Biei, Asahikawa and maybe even Hakodate itself.

Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

I know, you are right, but my husband would really like to visit the morning market in Hakodate and do the squid fishing experience. If I an find another place that has squid fishing in market, I will be able to drop Hakodate :(

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

Hi there

I agree with Sammy...you are going a long way in one direction....and then coming all the way back to head out in the opposite direction.

I'd cut Hakodate too...8 days to do both south-west and central Hokkaido AND the sapporo/Otaru area is rushing...

Sapporo - Otaru - Furano/Biei - Asahikawa...maybe go up to Asahidake for the onsen or Sounkyou...

amanda

PS sorry..I havent heard of any squid fishing tours from Hakodate...have you thought about sending a simple english fax to Hakodate toyurist office? they have english speakers there.

Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

no such detail itin and will be driving a car. My rough itin is as follows:-

Day 1 Chitose airport----Jozankei

Day2-5 Sapporo- Taisetsu Tokachi Area/Easter area

Day6 -------Sapporo/Chitose area

Day7 End

We will be starting our journey on 12 July. Execept for the day 1 hotel in Jozankei, we have not made any lodging reservation and plan to be free and easy and walk in hotel in those area so that we can be more flexible, just like how we do elsewhere when travelling by car.

Any body has comment on my itin and my plan?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,059 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

If you plan on staying around Furano and Biei for views of the flower fields, then you need to book accommodation now. Summer is the peak season and hotels and pensions are often sold out around that area weeks in advance.

Hong Kong, China
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

How about If I stay farther away after I visit Furano nad Biei area?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,059 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

Outside Biei and Furano, availability shouldn't be too much of a problem. At larger cities like Sapporo and Asahikawa, you should be able to find hotels quite easily.

8. Re: Hokkaido Itenerary - please comment!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2009, 04:26