We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokkaido Trip: Advice needed

Singapore
11 posts
Save Topic
Hokkaido Trip: Advice needed

Hi Everyone,

This site was so helpful during the planning of my self drive trip to NZ last Oct that I had to get some feedback for my upcoming Hokkaido trip (also self drive!!). And yes I have managed to get a English GPS (fingers crossed). So anyways, start and end is already booked, and I need to decide what to do and where to go in between. Plan so far:

Aug6- Fly to Hokkaido!!!

Aug7- Chitose, Hotel booked in Sapporo for the night

Aug8- TBD Lake Toyo (via Otaru day trip)

Aug9- TBD Chitose (is there anything to do here)

Aug10- TBD Furano (or should we do 2 days here)

Aug11- TBD, Hotel booked in Sapporo for the night

Aug12- Fly back to Singapore

I know that the # of days is not that many, but I was hopping cover the above. Have I missed some must visit locations. What do you guys think?

Things to do:

- Drink Beer (all 4 local flavours)

- Dinner at Genghis Khan

- Eat Ramen

- Enjoy the natural beauty

???

Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks

g

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,757 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hokkaido Trip: Advice needed

I don't think there is too much to see at Chitose. You can go to Lake Shikotsu for some nice lake views but you are already going to Lake Toya. I suggest you go to Noboribetsu instead.

Hong Kong
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hokkaido Trip: Advice needed

Hi, we just came back from a trip to Hokkaido and loved it! I also gathered a lot of invaluable information from this site before my trip, so I would like to "give back" with my two cents :)

I definitely agree with Sammy on Chitose -- there is not much to do except Shikotsu Lake (where we stopped for a nice stroll around the lake before heading back to Shin Chitose airport) but you are already going to Lake Toya which is supposed to be better anyway.

I would highly recommend adding Biei to your itinerary, especially if you are driving. It's only about 1/2 hour from Furano and at a steady pace you can finish Patchwork and Panorama Roads within approximately 3 hours. We first headed for the tourist information centre in Biei, where the very helpful staff gave us an English map and a suggested driving itinerary, all with map codes, which was extremely useful.

We actually enjoyed Biei even more than Furano, but that's because we (a couple in early 30s) are more into scenery, rolling hills, farm land, etc. My feeling was that Furano would be more suitable for families because of all the "activities" like making bread, icecream, butter, jam, etc. (But perhaps that's just us.)

In Furano, besides going to Farm Tomita, try to drive around randomly on roads near Farm Tomita and you will hit some more exclusive lavendar farms. Farm Tomita was nice but even on a Wednesday there were too many tourists (because everyone goes there). We were very fortunate to chance upon one farm that had very few people with glorious lavendar fields that were much larger than Tomita and not roped off (so you could take pictures without other tourists in the frame and without the site of ropes around the flowers). Because we found it randomly I don't have a name for you sorry...

Hope this helps!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,757 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hokkaido Trip: Advice needed

Around the Chitose area are some farms with experience work shops. Hakone Farm is actually quite close to the airport:

http://www.hakonebokujo.com/hakone_Eng.pdf

Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hokkaido Trip: Advice needed

I am booking a apartments via "Furano Connection" website. I was wondering if any one here has dealt with them before. I was asked to provide CC details for the booking as they do not have a secure online site for transaction.

I need some advice if I should go through with this and if its safe etc. The person I am talking to seem ok and the website etc seem legit.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hokkaido Trip: Advice needed

Only things worthwhile near Chitose, depending on your interests:

Northern Horse Farm

RERA Outlet Shopping Mall

Ecorinmura Gardens

6. Re: Hokkaido Trip: Advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2010, 05:16