We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip skiing in hokkaido

singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
day trip skiing in hokkaido

Hi,

i spent my last 2 winters with my family in club med sahoro and we had a great time. we love hokkaido and will be going back again this Dec. however, we are not planning to go back to club med.

My kids aged 9 and 11 and myself ski. my husband does not ski.

could you please advise which places would you recommend that we do do a day trip ski? is there any hotels near ski resorts that we could stay and drive over for skiing?

i do not wish to stay in a ski resort 'cos it's costly and my husband gets very bored.

thank you.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

You could stay in Asahikawa city for Kamui Ski Links or Santa Present Park. It's only 20 minutes from the city. See:

asahikawa-tourism.com/asahikawa/ski_asahikaw…

Or you could stay in Furano, see:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6830.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,386 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

There are some possibilities near Otaru. Quite near Otaru city center is Tenguyama where you can get a night view of Otaru while skiing. The courses are a bit short though:

www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php…

Another near Otaru is Asarigawa Onsen Ski Course. Asarigawa is between Sapporo and Otaru, about 30 minutes by bus from the center of Otaru, 10 minutes from Otaruchikkou station. The slopes are longer here. Asarigawa is also an onsen town so you can soak in some good hotsprings. Nearby Kourakuen is a very popular choice.

www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/resortdetail.php…

singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

Hi Blutek and Sammyfloyd,

thank you so much for your suggestions.

i forgot to add that we are just beginner to intermedite skiiers. so gentler and intermedite slopes are good enough for us. and it will be good if i could have an english speaking coach to guide my kids.

since my husband does not ski, is there anything else for him to do around the vicinity?

lastly, which of these slopes are accessible by public transport and which ones would require us to rent a car?

thank you so much for your recommendation.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

Niseko-Hirafu has the village next at the base of the resort. English speaking lessons are easily found. NBS has a daily kids program, see:

www.nisekobase.com

Other resorts may require taxi or shuttles to get to the town.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,386 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

If you and your kids are beginners and husband doesn't ski, I think going all the way to Niseko (2 hours from Sapporo on the ski bus) is a bit too far. Learning to ski is a very tiring process so in case you want to stop a bit early, you don't have to trek as far back to the cities. The advantage of Niseko though is they have English speaking instructors to guide you. I am not so sure about the ones nearby.

If you go to the ones near Otaru, your husband can trek into town to look around on his own for 1/2 day before coming back.

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

Moiwa Ski ground is right within Sapporo, about 30 minutes from downtown. Good for begineers, and I think they also have English lessons. Lots of sights and shops for your husband.

Another one near Otaru is Kiroro, which is about 40 minutes by bus from Otaru. Kiroro even has hot spring baths. And there are things to see in town for your husband. Most of the Otaru ski grounds have beautiful ocean views.

singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

Hi Nessie,

thank you very much for your suggestions.

i'll check out their websites.

singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

Hi Nessie,

thank you very much for your suggestions.

i'll check out their websites.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

and i'd suggest Kokusai Ski Area.

Your husband could hang out in a hotel hot spring at Jozankei and have lunch and a walk round the village - you can get on a bus and go 30 minutes up into the mountain above the village and ski.

Jozankei is 40 minutes from downtown Sapporo.

Kokusai is 30 mins beyond the village.

amanda

10. Re: day trip skiing in hokkaido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 04:17