We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

Hi,

I will be flying from Tokyo to Hokkaido thus are there any airlines for recommendation for such a flight?

Are there any suggested itineary that I could use a guide for my planning say 11 days and must I confirm my accomodation booking for my trip in Hokkaido? I like to see more of scenic view and is it safe and expensive to drive in Hokkaido and which website can I get a good price for car rental?

This is my 1st time going to Hokkaido thus I want to fully utilize my time as much as possible in Hokkaido.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

We did a road-trip last summer from late July to early Aug and fully enjoyed the drive in Hokkaido. Despite recent events, we had no trouble with Toyota and we booked through the following:

www2.tocoo.jp/…

Reserve your accommodation in advance, esp. around Furano and Biei area which is highly popular during lavender and sunflower season in summer.

If you’re into nature, go east and explore the Shiretoko Peninsula.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

Also, if you look at the JR Hokkaido website they have recommended routes and train/car/hotel packages that can be used - trains are a good idea in Hokkaido to cover the big distances - so for example you go by train from Sapporo to Furano or Sapporo to Kushiro and then rent a car at the station....

Amanda

singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

Can someone advise me which domestic flight has the best rate to take from Tokyo to Hakkaido? Thanks.

By having the pakage of train/car/hotel, will it help me to save more money in comparison when I book these things individually?

singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

Hi William

I hope you are able to share with me your driving itineary in Hakkaido as a guideline for me.

I will keep in mind to visit the east side of Hakkaido.

Thanks.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

Go all the way from Kushiro marsh land, via Mashuko/Akanko, to Kamuiwakka river onsen in Shiretoko National Park through Utoro where there are many cheap minshukus with great sea food diners & bf. I didn't make any reservation. You wade up the warm river bed stream up to the steam rising where you find water holes deep enough to soak naked or with swim attire. Very few people, free, only the nature and nothing man-made around.

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

If you are flying from Singapore straight up to Sapporo, then there are 2 flights daily from Narita airport, one morning and one at night, if you get a ticket booked from Singapore all the way through to Sapporo it is cheaper than booking seperately (one way is usually about 24,000Y booked seperately)- only JAL and ANA do these flights from Narita.

Flying from Haneda airport gives you greater flexibility in terms of time, destinations and prices. Haneda is 20/30mins by monorail/train from the central areas of Tokyo. You would need 2hours or more to transfer from Narita to Haneda and vice versa.

ANA, JAL, Skymark all fly from Haneda to a variety of destinations in Hokkaido from around 12,000Y one way and up. All of these are bookable from 3 months in advance

http://www.skymark.co.jp/en/

You might want to enquire or search on this website about a Japan airpass that might give you cheaper domestic flights.

Hotel/train/car packages can be cheaper and easier than booking individually. But I"ve not not done this myself to comment on that question.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

I have posted some photos of our Hokkaido summer trip here. Take a look and see what places you like and I can provide further info. if you need.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298143-i5078-k300…

For our trip, we picked up the rental car after staying a couple of days in Sapporo first. My wife loves flowers so we spent 3 days in Furano and Biei area. Then we moved east to Obihiro, Akan-ko, Kushiro, Kussharo-ko and Mashu-ko. We spent 2 days in Shiretoko Peninsula covering Shari, Utoro and Rausu. Then we moved up north along the eastern coast, visiting Abashiri, Kitami and Mombetsu before arriving Wakkanai and Soya-misaki. Coming back down south, we went to Horonobe, Nayoro, Asakikawa, Tennin-ko Onsen, Hokuryu and Iwamizawa. Before coming back to Sapporo, we also went west to the Shakotan-hanto Peninsula, Niki and Otaru.

You can’t cover all in just 10-11 days. Maybe you can skip the north which requires a long drive. But the east is definitely worth going. How I wish we could spend more time in Shiretoko.

Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

Hi William I am planning a 10 days self drive Hokkaido trip from late july and chanced upon your posting here. I saw the pictures you took they are really lovely! Except that I will be arriving in Sapporo I have no idea how should I plan my driving trip beyond the city. A must see for me is Furano's lavender field and not forgetting Noribetsu and other scenic places. Can you suggest something for me please?

Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

It’s hard to make any concrete suggestion without knowing where your interest lies. Between me and my wife, we can provide you with 2 different lists of things to see and places to go in Hokkaido. Hokkaido has so much to offer and all 4 seasons have its unique attractions.

Summer is definitely flower season. My wife loves flowers and I was told to map out all the flower fields for her to visit in the Furano and Biei area. After 3 days there I’m a bit “flowered out” but admittedly the flower fields are beautiful. Between Furano and Biei, I like Biei better because of its countryside scenery. If you are into flowers, consider also going for sunflowers in Nayoro and especially Hokuryu. The rose garden in Iwamizawa is also nice. We didn’t go but were told the 2 northern islands of Rebun and Rishiri are also good destinations for wild flowers. Oh, about lavender, note that the most popular (and most touristy) place is Farm Tomita. Don’t know whether you are aware or not that Farm Tomita has an additional set up at Lavender East which is about 3-4 km away. But if you really like lavender, go to Kanayama-ko in the Minami Furano area which is south of Furano. It has the only lavender field with a lake as its background. The surrounding scenery is quite pretty and photogenic. And if I remember correctly it holds an annual summer festival on the last Sat and Sun of July during which there is firework in the evenings. But do double check for date confirmation if you are going for it.

I myself love nature and I enjoy Kushiro Shitsugen Wetlands, Kussharo-ko, Mashu-ko and most of all the Shiretoko Peninsula. We spent 2 days in the Shiretoko area and wish we could stay for more.

We didn’t go south from Sapporo. We did a winter trip before to Noribetsu, Niseko and Toya-ko and we didn’t have time to go all the way to Hakodate. 2 more popular destinations we left out are Jozankei and Sounkyo Gorge. Hopefully we can go there during autumn as we are told autumn foliage is spectacular in those places. And of course there is the ever popular and touristy Otaru, a must for every first-timer to Hokkaido.

The drive up north is a long one, so with just 10 days consider skipping it. We had almost 3 weeks.

Food and onsens are major Hokkaido “attractions” and the list can be a long one. The one thing I can add is that during summer try to include an interesting cherry u-pick trip in the Niki area. There are many cherry farms there that are opened during the season.

Without boring you with on-and-on talk, let me know what kind of things you like to see and do and I’ll try to provide you with more info. One way is to go through the photos that I posted and see what interests you and I can elaborate a bit more.

Singapore
Level Contributor
617 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10days in Hokkaido in late june to early jul

Thanks William! Appreciate your detailed reply. It helps a lot. Now I have a better idea. Is Hakodate and Biel/Furano totally at the opposite side? I have to get a map to know the locations. Can I do the above three together in this trip?

I love lavender ! And sunflowers too! I definitely want to see flowers but do not want to bore my fiance out. So I would like to satisfy him with onsen and food.

I only know the more popular places like Noribetsu, Hakodate, Sapporo, Furano, Biel and Niseko. This is my first self drive trip and I am very excited and want to make sure everything is nice. I will go through your pictures and come back to you later. Arigato!