We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip to Hokkaido.. Pls Help

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st Trip to Hokkaido.. Pls Help

Dear Experts,

Will be going Hokkaido for my honey mood from 25 sep - 4 Oct about 10days.. Guess i wont be able to catch a glimpse of the snow there.. or can i? Will it be better to visit during Nov?

We are planning to minimize changing of accommodation if we are to DIY the trip as it is troublesome... and we do not want to rush ard especially it is our honeymood trip... If we are to stay at 1-2 hotels, are there any 2 good strategic location/district to stay there for our easy accessible...

We would wish to visit - Furano to c the beautiful flowers,Niseko to see the snow if there is, Shiretoko National Park, Kamuiwakkayu Falls and other great locations...

Or is it better to have a tour trip instead?

Thanks for the advice!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Trip to Hokkaido.. Pls Help

Late Sept and early Oct is autumn in most part of Hokkaido and it's doubtful whether you can see snow. In this time of the year autumn foliage is said to be at its best in Sounkyo area.

Shiretoko Peninsula is indeed beautiful esp. if you like nature and the great outdoor. But note that Kamuiwakkayu Falls is only accessible from mid Jul to mid Sept

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6851.html

You may still see some flowers in Furano but don’t expect to see too many spectacular rainbow colour flowers as in July and August. You can see some lavender inside greenhouses. Here is some more info. on Furano during autumn:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g298143-i5078-k3632…

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Trip to Hokkaido.. Pls Help

Yes - this time is too early for snow, and just about ok for fall colors.

I'd recommend staying 2 nights at Sounkyou/Lake Akan or Asahidake...and then two nights at lake Toya/Noboribetsu/Lake Oonuma (near Hakodate)....

The rest of the time could be a night or two in Sapporo.

Amanda

Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Trip to Hokkaido.. Pls Help

Thanks William and Amanda! Appreciate your advices... guess wrong timing to go hokkaido... hmmz.. i will do some researches before i post again...

Thanks again!

4. Re: 1st Trip to Hokkaido.. Pls Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 06:16