We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

Singapore
5 posts
Save Topic
Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

Hi,

I am travelling to Abashiri and Asahikawa in 2 weeks time, and are trying to brave free & easy.

Noted that the attractions in Abashiri and Asahikawa are quite far apart and would like to hire a 1 day driver for these places.

Does anyone have any recommendation or contacts to provide please. You can either post it here or if anyone staying there who is interested may private message me.

Much appreciated.

iice

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

Self drive or taxi works. You can charter a taxi for about 30-40,000 yen for a full 10 hour day. This time of year, with snow, self drive could be challenging to someone not familiar with the road conditions.

Try translate with google:

http://asahikawa-taxi.jp/

Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

Thank you very much for your help, Yamanote.

Will check out the website... 40,000 seems expensive though... :o)

Regards,

iice

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,010 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

this is Japan, not some 3rd world country where you can hire a car+ driver for 100USD/day.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

Yes, a bIt expensive.

You can cut the cost by reducing hours. Also, try to get a couple of hours free if you hire for an extended time.

Don't know about Abashiri, but taxi hire cost is probably about the same. Not sure it's worth it in the dead of winter.

Singapore
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

Hi Yamanote,

Thanks again for your kind advise. I will charter the taxi. It's already relieving to know i can charter taxi and estimated cost and not get strangled in the cold.

Where do i go to charter a taxi? Appreciate your last advise.

Thank you!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

Best would be to make a res in advance, but language probably an issue. I don't think it's too busy there right now, so likely no problem to arrange at the airport or station.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,010 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

http://www.rakurakutaxi.com/

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

Hi

Abashiri is a very small town!

Have you looked at this website?

abashiri.jp/tabinavi_en/transport/index.html

There is a tourist bus which goes regularly round all the visitor places, it starts at the station and you can get on and off where you like.

There are also 3 hour tours - from the station.

The staff at the touristb office in Abashiri speak English and can help you.

They can book a local taxi driver to drive you round for a few hours - he probably won't speak English, but if you have tourist leaflets its ok...there is info at all the sights.

Asahikawa the same. Tourist buses for the attractions, or a local taxi driver booked by the toursit office.

Amanda

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

Btw, there is a tourist information office just in front of Asahikawa station. They can speak English and Mandarin. They are very friendly and helpful.

During winter, there is no regular tourist bus going around the city. You would be challenged to wait for a bus in the freezing cold of the Asahikawa winter anyway. It's cold!!

I highly recommend the ramen at Hachiya Ramen, one of the local's favorites.

10. Re: Hiring driver for 1 day at Abashiri, and 1 day at Asahikawa.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2011, 05:18