We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Skiing

Asia
9 posts
Save Topic
First Time Skiing

Hi advisors,

I have planned 1 day in Hirafu. How do I go about trying out skiing for the first time? I have no knowledge of this sport. So where can I take up a 1-2 hr clash course before skiing? is there any assigned ski area for amateur? Thank you.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Skiing

There's a group lessons here from 10:00 to 12:00 (cost not shown):

grand-hirafu.jp/winter/en/lessons/index.html

Here's another with a group class:

http://www.nisekobase.com/?page_id=85

One of the beginner areas is on your left at the bottom of the map (green).

grand-hirafu.jp/winter/en/mountain/map.html

travelling
Level Contributor
155 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Skiing

You can sign up for lessons with several operators at Hirafu. There's SAS, NISS, NBS and a few others. All have group or privatelessons in English. They will also have the necessary ski/boots/snowboards, etc for rental. Most beginers stay on the Family course and there's a magic carpet area for kids and first timers as well.

Asia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Skiing

Tks for the reply. Do I need to sign up in advance as I am taking Niseko Limited Express arriving Kutchan at 940am? Dun think can make it in time for 10am class.. so after class I will try out around family lift area? i do not need to take the ski lift up and ski down? please pardon my many questions. Tks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,074 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Skiing

Even for the family lift, you need to take the lift going up. The run is quite gentle.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Skiing

How long are you staying in HIrafu?

Are you staying in a hotel? Or only coming for the day?

It's a good idea to book a ski lesson ahead, particularly in Chinese New Year...which is...Feb 3rd ??? this year and the following week which is Sapporo Snow Festival time.

Make a reservation now online with one of the ski schools and they will help you with all the equipment and you can rent clothes in Hirafu.

have fun!!!

Amanda

travelling
Level Contributor
155 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Skiing

You may book online with a few of the companies or you can go and take the afternoon lessons. The Family lift is open till 8 or 9 at night so even if you take lessons in the afternoon, you'll still have a couple of hours to enjoy/practice.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Skiing

Yes, you can get afternoon lessons.

When you arrive at Hirafu - go and rent skis and boots etc...and go out onto a flat part of the snow and just practice shuffling along wearing the boots and skis...this will be enough!

HIrafu is a big ski resort and it'll be confusing - getting off the bus, finding the place to rent the equipment, getting dressed up, going outside...it will all take time.

Do you really need to go all the way out from Sapporo just for 1 day first-time-skiing?

It's basically a 2 hour bus ride there and back. There are other ski areas nearer the city - with English speaking ski instructors.

Try Teine or Kokusai.

Both have regular buses going from the city. The websites don't have English information about lessons - contact me directly if you want more information about that.

Hirafu is the famous ski area, but it isn't the ONLY ski area....why spend 4 hours on a bus when you can go out for an hour or two and try skiing?

Amanda

travelling
Level Contributor
155 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Skiing

Amanda is absolutely right. It's not worth the time & effort to go all the way to Hirafu for just 1 day. I won't even consider going all the way there for 2 days. It's quite a long way in snowy conditions. Also, with all due respect, as a beginner, the size/quality of the resort is not of so much significance.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,074 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Skiing

I think Teine should be the choice. From the center of Sapporo, Kokusai takes at least 90 minutes to get to if you take the bus.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Skiing

Yes, I think Teine too. Very easy to get to.

It is harder to book English-speaking instructors before arrival as the website is in Japanese.

I suggest getting to Japan or Sapporo and asking the hotel to telephone ahead at least one day before and arrange a ski instructor who speaks english...they do have them...

Amanda