We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokkaido in May

Singapore
12 posts
Save Topic
Hokkaido in May

Hi Experts,

I am visiting HKD in may for first time and my itinerary are as below:

Day3: Sapporo 2 nights

Day5: Noboribetsu 1 night

Day6: Lake toya 2 nights

Day8: Hakodate 2 nights

Day1 and Day 2 will be in TKY and need your recommendation on those places worth to go in May.

Sapporo: Any scenary points or special places?

Noboribetsu: I will go jigokutani and enjoy hotspring at hotel

Lake toya: Lake visit and nearby recommeded places?

Hakodate: Not sure 2 nights is too long for Hakodate?

Thank you all.....

Mentioned in this post
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Noboribetsu
Noboribetsu
Hokkaido, Japan
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Singapore
Level Contributor
58 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hokkaido in May

I am visiting Hokkaido in May too, the 2nd time for me.

To keep your holiday easy going and not end up travelling too much, I would suggest skip Hakodate. Since your suggested places are concentrated in Central Hokkaido, may be you want to visit places nearer.

There is a factory outlet near Chitose airport, so you want to cater some time for it. I have this link to my webpages on my Hokkaido trip for your reference, it's more on onsen and eating.

web.me.com/yaptp/Site/Hokkaido,_Japan.html

My 2nd trip in May will focus on the Eastern part of Hokkaido and will be eating, onsen, maybe horseback riding and hopefully can match the timing for Cherry Blossom.

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Chitose
Chitose
Hokkaido, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,910 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hokkaido in May

Hakodate is indeed quite optional. I would opt for Furano and Biei as spring time could be quite nice.

A previous discussion with helpful pointers from Amanda:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298143-i5078-k188…

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hokkaido in May

Hi YapTP and Sammyfloyd,

Thanks alot for your advice and guidance. Oppps, I have booked the hotel in hakodate already and need to allocate sometime in hakodate now. May be I will go to Mount Hakodate for night view and nearby for morning market. Is it recommendable?

singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hokkaido in May

i'm visiting hokkaido in may too.

touching down on 11th may. i was thinking of traveling to hakodate and hoping to catch some cherry blossoms too.

is there anywhere else in hokkaido with more sakura trees that i can visit besides hakodate? re-thinking whether i shld travel to hakodate now.

singapore
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hokkaido in May

Hi

I am also thinking of going on a package tour during end may/early june to Hokkaido...

Can anyone advise on whether the scenery during the period will be gd (any flowers blooming by then)?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hokkaido in May

2 nights in Hakodate is too much but we really enjoyed the markets. there's the big one near the train station and another asaichi further away. if you like seafood, they had ready-to-eat king crab and ikura everywhere at the market and also grilled up uni.

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hokkaido in May

Some information on cherry blossom spots in Hokkaido during May:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k42208…

End of May to early June is good for pink moss/moss phlox and tulip:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+81081

Singapore
Level Contributor
58 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hokkaido in May

There are other sites for cherry blossoms other than Hakodate. I am planning a self drive to the East of Hokkaido and loop back to Chitose in an anti clockwise direction. Will plan to chase some cherry blossoms if timing is right since the flower bloom moves Eastward. I have found some sites with Cherry Blossoms in the Southern and Eastern side of Hokkaido, so will be planning to cover those areas.

As for going to Hakodate, it will depend on your schedule. I personally won't do a trip to Hakodate if my focus is in the central or Eastern Hokkaido. Hokkaido is a lot bigger than Singapore, so it's not near like travelling from Changi to Tuas.

Mentioned in this post
Hakodate
Hakodate
Hokkaido, Japan
Chitose
Chitose
Hokkaido, Japan
9. Re: Hokkaido in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 12:18