We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
135 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

Hi

My wife and son (6 years old) are planning to visit Hokkaido in late July 2011. The main aim is to see the flowers and to enjoy the nature.

This is my proposed itinerary, and want to get views on it:

- Day 1: Singapore to Ashikawa (via Osaka) and pick up car & drive to Biei arriving in the late afternoon

- Day 2 : Biei and Furano

- Day 3 : Biei and Furano

- Day 4 : Drive from Biei to Sapporo and return car

- Day 5: Sapporo

- Day 6: Sapporo (Day trip to Otaru by JR)

- Day 7: Sapporo

- Day 8: Pick up car and drive from Sapporo to Noboribetsu / Lake Toya

- Day 9: Noboribetsu / Lake Toya

- Day 10: Drive from Noboribetsu / Lake Toya to Chitose Airport (overnight at Airport hotel)

- Day 11: Sapporo to Singapore (via Osaka) [very early morning flight ETD Sapporo 7.40 am]

Is this workable?

I plan to return the car on Day 4 and pick it up again on Day 8 as I do not need the car in Sapporo and don't want to pay for parking at the hotel.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,786 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

Your itinerary looks quite good. I am not sure what international flight you are taking though on day 1. If you have just flown overnight from Singapore to Kansai and then onto Asahikawa, be sure you can handle driving without much real rest.

Another factor to consider is if you pick up the car at Asahikawa and return it at Sapporo, you will incur a drop-off charge of a few thousand Yen minimum. However, it's probably not that expensive comparatively since you save some toll charges as you are not doing a Sapporo-Furano roundtrip.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
135 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

Hi Sammy

I am planning to fly ANA (code share with Singapore Airlines) into Asahikawa via Osaka. I am quite used to driving immediately after a flight.

Instead of picking up a car at Asahikawa and return it at Sapporo, what other options do I have?

Would it be more cost effective to drop off the car at Biei and for the 3 of us to take a JR train to Sapporo? Just weighing the costs vs benefits of saving the dropp-off charge and the train fare for all 3 of us.

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

is it safe to travel to hokkaido in early july 2011? m gg with whole family.

is food and water safe for consumption?

pl advise (honest answers pls) thank you

margaret

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,786 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

Most will tell you that Hokkaido and most of Japan have not been affected. I have just come back from Osaka myself. Remember that "safe" is relative. You should not rely on us to make a decision. You should be responsible for your own well-being and actions.

5. Re: Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 09:59
6. Re: Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 09:59
Edited: 09 June 2011, 09:59
Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

Hi,

just a thought...how much do you need a car in Toya and Noboribetsu?

In summer there is local bus/taxi/bike transport for exploring this area. You could go by train or bus from Sapporo to these plces and explore without a car maybe.

Another idea is to go from Furano etc to Otaru and STAY in Otaru with you car...take the train into Sapporo for the day, then drive from Otaru over the mountins to Kutchan, Niseko and Toya - stay - then drive to Noboribetsu and then back to Chitose.

Doing 2 car rentals seems unnnecessary....parking isn't that expensive...Y1,000 for a day. And if you are a hotel guest probably less.

Amanda

singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

HI Amanda n Friends,

I am planning to visit Hokkaido in Sept for 7 nites. Thinking whether I could rent a car or buy JR pass. Which is more economical...just 2 of us. We are planning to buy a air ticket and 2nites stay at Sapporo and the rest is free and easy. Would like to see nice scenery and onsen. Pls advise us about itinerary. THANKS........

9. Re: Advice on July 2011 Hokkaido Itinerary

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 15:17