We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokkaido 23-29May: Pl suggest driving Free & Easy Itinerary

Hong Kong, China
9 posts
Save Topic
Hokkaido 23-29May: Pl suggest driving Free & Easy Itinerary

Hi,

My husband and I are interested in a free and easy driving/scenic trip around Hokkaido next week. 1st time touring and driving around Japan - we'd like to take it easy, enjoy the drive and scenery, see/try some Hokkaido highlights and see some seasonal flowers.

Please suggest a 5-6 day itinerary around the Sapporo/Hokkaido area and some good mid-priced places to stay. We've looked at the tourism websites but it's hard to pick when we don't know much about touring in Hokkaido end of May.

This is a short runway to the holiday, and we don't want to spend too much time thinking and planning about it. It will help if there's helpful suggestions for an enjoyable-highlights driving tour of Hokkaido.

Thanks so much!

Ms J.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hokkaido 23-29May: Pl suggest driving Free & Easy Itinerary

Hi, You don't need to post the same thing 3 times. It will show up if you just do it once. ;)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,096 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hokkaido 23-29May: Pl suggest driving Free & Easy Itinerary

Assuming you can from HK, can you read Chinese? If yes, there are many guidebooks available that give good highlights, including addresses and phone numbers so you can find the location on the GPS that comes with the rental car. Such books also recommend plenty of places to stay and eat.

With your amount of time, the typical itinerary is to drive to Furano and Biei and see the countryside and the flowers for 2-3 days. Asahikawa, Sounkyo and Daisetsuzan National Park are also near that area. You can also opt for a quick onsen trip to Noboribetsu and Lake Toya for another day. Then return the car to Sapporo and spend a couple of days there with a side trip to Otaru.

Remember you will need an International Driving Permit to rent in Japan.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hokkaido 23-29May: Pl suggest driving Free & Easy Itinerary

I don't think Furano and Bieie are worth it at the end of May, not so many flowers...specially this year because it is colder than usual.

I was there last year end of May and although the Daisetu Mountains are beautiful with snow, there are not so many flowers to see.

I'd go south to Lake Toya/Noboribetsu and then round to Niseko and Shakotan and Otaru.

Amanda

singapore
Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hokkaido 23-29May: Pl suggest driving Free & Easy Itinerary

Any Flowers to see in Sept? If yes which part of hokkaido.......

5. Re: Hokkaido 23-29May: Pl suggest driving Free & Easy Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2012, 06:15