Hi Everyone - we will have the pleasure of staying at the Marukoma Onsen Ryokan on Lake Shikotsuko for two days/nights on our upcoming trip to Hokkaido.
I've done a little bit of reading on Japanese Guest Houses to get an idea of the general customs when staying at a ryokan, but I have a few questions and I'd appreciate any help so we don't accidentally offend anyone by our ignorance!
Also, any input from someone who has stayed at a ryokan - maybe advice you would have liked before your stay?
1) I read that we are supposed to take off our shoes as soon as we walk into the building. I assume if I want to wear different shoes from one morning to the next, say, hiking boots, I would carry my hiking boots to the front with me in the morning before heading out and leave my other shoes there from the day before?
2) I read that we will likely get a yukata to wear inside the ryokan. What do we wear underneath the yukata?
3) Do we wear the yukata everywhere in the hotel (for example to a hotel restaurant or bar if there is one?)
4) Do we put our own futons away in the morning?
5) How do we know when meals will be served in room? (if we're sight seeing around the lake, we don't want to miss food! haha)
6) I assume for mixed bath outdoor onsen we're supposed to wear bathing suits? If so, are there any understood requirements, or is any bathing suit fine?
Thanks in advance!!!