We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hokkaido in August

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hokkaido in August

We are planning a 7 to 8 days self drive in Hokkaido. Need advise if its good time to include Abashiri? will we b able to see the ice drift?

Our tentative itinerary is fly into Hakodate. drive thru Noboribetsu, Otaru, Sapporo Furano, Biei, Asahikawa n fly back to Tokyo.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hokkaido in August

If you are talking about ice-breaking cruise to see drift ice offshore, there isn’t any during August. But if you just want to “see” drift ice you can go to Abashiri’s Okhotsk Ryuhyo Museum where you can touch hug lumps of drift ice in a room kept 15C below zero.

With just 7-8 days, consider skipping the long drive east to Abashiri and just concentrate on the other destinations that you have listed out for a more leisurely road trip.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hokkaido in August

I'd cut Noboribetsu and do Sapporo/Otaru/Asahikawa/Sounkyou/Biei/Furano and maybe as far as Lake Akan.

That is more than enough driving and sightseeing.

amamda

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hokkaido in August

thank you for the advcie

Japan
Level Contributor
612 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hokkaido in August

If I can jump in on this topic, would it be too hot to sleep in the car in August? I live in Japan and have always wanted to take a trip around Hokkaido in summer to escape Honshu's heat and humidity. Our tent is big and it is easier to just sleep in the car if we are only in a place for a night. I remember seeing Hokkaido getting into the 30'+C range in the past.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hokkaido in August

You could sleep in a car in Hokkaido in August - sure! Not sure I'd want to.....the driving distances are long and at the end of the day the last place you really want to be is back in the car...there are also lots of camp sites too.

amanda

Japan
Level Contributor
612 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hokkaido in August

Don't worry, have a Voxy that flattens out in the back to a bed. Additionally, I'd have 3 dogs with me. Sometime it's easier to just do the car rather than set up a tent for a night!

7. Re: hokkaido in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2013, 09:48