We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Sapporo to Lake Toya's Usu Volcanic Mountain

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
From Sapporo to Lake Toya's Usu Volcanic Mountain

I want to go to Lake Toya's Usu Mountain as a day trip from Sapporo. The JR train from Sapporo takes about 1 1/2 hours and costs about Yen 5250 each way. Is it too rush for me and is the scene attractive enough?

Thanks

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Sapporo to Lake Toya's Usu Volcanic Mountain

Lake Toya is beautiful and so peaceful. I love it. I recommend you stay over night too in one of the onsen hotels along the lake. In the summer they have a fireworks show on the lake every night. It's really nice to walk along the promenade at night in yukata. Every one does it. it's so cool.

I recommend Kohantei Onsen hotel. They have an awesome outdoor bath on the roof of the hotel overlooking the lake.

www.best-of-sapporo-japan.com/toyako.html

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Sapporo to Lake Toya's Usu Volcanic Mountain

I think it's worth it as a day trip - might be a good idea to hire a local taxi from the station to drive you around easily:

* Usu Crater trail and the Showa Shinzan volcano area (avoid the awful bear park.

* Nishiyama volcanic crater area, this is the area that erupted about 10 years ago.

* The volcano museum in the village center

* The sumo museum (near Showa Shinzan)

* Boat ride out on the lake to the islands

* Rent a bike and cycle round the lake (about 2.5 hrs)

Another lake near Sapporo is Lake Shikotsu.

Amanda

3. Re: From Sapporo to Lake Toya's Usu Volcanic Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:16