We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

I planned to do a day trip to Yubetsu Tulip Park from Asahikawa on 7 Jun 2012. From this forum, I learnt that I can perhaps visit the pink moss park on the same day on way to Yubetsu. It will be either:

http://www.shibazakura.net/ (Shibazakura Park)

or

…hokkaido.jp/02hana/phlox/kouen.html (Takinoue Park)

Apparently, Takinoue Park is nearer to Asahikawa. However, from the Asahikawa Tourism website (asahikawa-tourism.com/asahikawa/asahikawa_sp…), Takinoue Pink Moss Park has been removed from its bus tour this year and they have replaced it with Higashi Mokoto Pink Moss.

1) Is Takinoue Park closed?

2) Are Higashi Mokoto Pink Moss and Shibazakura Park the same park?

3) I have checked the website and Higashi Mokoto Park Moss is in Abashiri. As I will be driving from Asahikawa as a day trip, will it be too far to travel back from there?

4) If Takinoue Park is not closed, which will be nicer to visit - Takinoue Park or Higashi Mokoto Pink Moss (provided the distance is not too long)?

TIA for your advice.

Hokkaido Treasure Island Travel
Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Hi there

1) Takinoue is still open.

2) I think they are the same park. Abashiri as a daytrip from Asahikawa sounds like a Loooong way!!

3) Not sure which is best, since I haven't been to either.

Don't worry too much - there are many places in Hokkaido with lots of that ground cherry/pink moss - many gardens, parks and roadside areas have them - don't plan the holiday around it, if you drive you'll see it everywhere and find local parks with beautiful views....many local tourist leaflets will show you the local parks.

Also - near Sapporo - you can see great tulips at Takino Suzuran Park, a bus ride from the Makomonai subway station in suburban Sapporo.

Amanda

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Thank you, Amanda. I am so excited to see the beautiful flowers soon. Eagerly waiting to leave for Hokkaido tomorrow.

Save Reply
3. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Hi, i will be visiting sapporo from 10-16th may next year, may i know if i wil get to see tulips in Takino Suzuran Park? I heard i will to see a better view of tulips in Yubetsu but its way too far to travel and im probably staying in at sapporo for the 6 nights. Kindly advise. Thank you so much!

Sheryl

Save Reply
4. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Hi, i will be visiting sapporo from 10-16th may next year, may i know if i wil get to see tulips in Takino Suzuran Park? I heard i will to see a better view of tulips in Yubetsu but its way too far to travel and im probably staying in at sapporo for the 6 nights. Kindly advise. Thank you so much!

Sheryl

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,871 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

According to this year record, tulips in Takino Park didn’t fully bloom till late May.

http://www.takinopark.com/nikki/?p=2813 (May 13, 2012)

http://www.takinopark.com/nikki/?p=2902 (May 24, 2012)

http://www.takinopark.com/nikki/?p=2939 (May 27, 2012)

Save Reply
6. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Hi william512,

thanks for your reply. Yeah i read about it too. Its a pity i may not be able to do later than those dates. Trying to avoid the school holiday season in singapore.

May i also check one other thing? I am looking at a day trip that covers both lake toya and noribetsu. Wil be driving up from sapporo, do you think its possible to do a day trip and drive back to sapporo where my hotel is?

How many hours should i allocate for each attraction?how many hours of drive to lake toya?

I understand that noribetsu is between sapporo and lake toya, which order should i visit first?

Many thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,871 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Even using expressway the drive from Sapporo to Toya-ko is over 2 hrs which means at least 4.5 hrs are spent on the road if you want to do it as a daytrip from Sapporo. Toya-ko deserves more than just a few hours, not to mention you still want to take in Noboribetsu. Ideally spend a night in Toya-ko for a more relaxing visit and also enjoying the evening firework.

On both our visits to Noboribetsu we did it as a side trip from Toya-ko so you need not allocate an extra night for it. But a friend who had stayed in both places comments that for onsen experience Noboribetsu is better than Toya-ko.

BTW, note that early May is cherry blossom season in Hokkaido and since you plan on driving, consider going for the Cherry Blossom Avenue near Shizunai. If you are going try to do it early in your trip because under the average condition you stand a better chance of viewing sakura during the first week to 10 days in May.

…hokkai.jp/kankoukyoukai/…gaigo-en03.htm

http://www.sakuranamiki.com/haru/annai.html

Save Reply
8. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Hi,

I did consider staying one night at lake toya and have checked out the hotels there, it seems so much more costly on average as compared to sapporo. I wil be travelling with a group of 5 adults with my 2 children, age 2 & 4. Any affordable but good family friendly hotels to recommend which also gives a good view of the lake?

If i were to stay in lake toya on my last night, how long does it take to get to chitose airport?

Also, i intend to do the flower viewing at Takino Suzuran park and odori park, wil i still be able to see the cherry blossoms on say 12th may? Do you mean i wil not get to see cherry blossoms after the first ten days of may?

Many thanks!

Edited: 26 November 2012, 09:04
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,871 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Being holiday retreats and sightseeing destinations, indeed accommodation in both Toya-ko and Noboribetsu are slightly more expensive but it is worth it.

…rakuten.co.jp/group/tiku_en/03japanhokkaido…

Last time in Toya we got a fairly good deal in Toya Sansui Hotel Kafu, 15000 yen for a double with 2 meals included. Just that the place doesn’t have lake view as it is located one block inland.

…rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng…

The drive from Toya-ko to New Chitose Airport is about 1 hr 50 min at a distance of 124 km.

No one can accurately foretell the unpredictable weather but based on normal condition the first week of May is said to be best for cherry blossom in Hokkaido. And since blooming period will easily pass after just one week so it is an educated guess that after the first 10 days in May the chance of seeing sakura may not be that high. Below is a blog report of situation during May 9 this year in Sapporo labeling “end of season” for a couple of sites.

japan-guide.com/blog/…120509_sapporo.html

Save Reply
10. Re: Pink Moss & Yubetsu Tulip Park

Hi william thank you so much for your valuable advice. i may consider shifting my travel dates from 8-14th may. I am kinda worried yet looking forward to the driving trip on our second last day, as it wil be our first time driving on the roads of japan, (our other closest experience were road trips in US. )

We wil most likely be renting a 10-seater hiace as we need to accomodate two child seats plus our luggages driving from sapporo to lake toya. May i know is it a pretty straight forward drive from sapporo to lake toya and also from lake toya to chitose airport?( straight forward as in mostly by expressway?)

U mentioned that i could take the route u suggested to view cherry blossoms, may i know if it wil take more than 2hrs to reach toya sunpalace?

I checked with tocoo.com, they mentioned something about having a 'D' license to drive the 10- seater, is it the same as just applying for an international license?

Many thanks for your reply:)