We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hokkaido in Mid-April next year (Furano or No Furano?)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Hokkaido in Mid-April next year (Furano or No Furano?)

Hi all

We 4 people (2 couples) got the tickets to Hokkaido for next year, from 15Apr-20Apr. I just realized April is not a good month to go, but we redeemed the ticket already, so we have to go anyway. I've been to Sapporo, Otaru, Noboribetsu already. It's the first time for my hubby and friends to visit Hokkaido. At first I wanted to go to Furano and Biei but seems it's no point going as the flower is not ready.

Where should we go instead? We will stay at Sapporo for 1 night first, then we'll take train to Otaru the next day and stay there for 2 nights. We will then rent a car the 4th day morning in Otaru, and drive to Yoishi in the morning (My friend loves Whisky).

Then we will have 3 days left (2 nights) Should we go to Niseko, Noboribetsu, Tomakomai then ? Is it true that it is not worth going to Furano and Biei during mid-April ?

Thanks for your help.

Tue 15th April (arrive Chitose Airport at 2pm) --- train to Sapporo

Wed 16th April 12pm --- train from Sapporo to Otaru

Thu 17th April Otaru

Fri 18th April

9am - car from Otaru to Yoishi

12pm - car from Yoishi to ???????? (Niseko? or Furano?)

Sat 19th April

Where ?? Noboribetsu or Furano ? Biei ??

Sun 20th April

where ?? Tomakomai ?? or Furano??

4pm Rera Chitose Outlet

8pm flight departs from Chitose

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Otaru
Otaru
Hokkaido, Japan
Noboribetsu
Noboribetsu
Hokkaido, Japan
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Niseko-cho
Niseko-cho
Abuta-gun, Japan
Tomakomai
Tomakomai
Hokkaido, Japan
Chitose Airport Hotel
Chitose Airport Hotel
137 Reviews
Chitose, Japan
Rera
Rera
26 Reviews
Niseko-cho, Japan
Chitose
Chitose
Hokkaido, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hokkaido in Mid-April next year (Furano or No Furano?)

Indeed mid April is a bit of between seasons in Hokkaido and there won’t be any particular flower destinations during that time of the year. Biei is beautiful for its countryside scenery and is worth visiting anytime of the year but to go there bypassing Furano seems a bit odd as the 2 places are practically next to each other. If you don’t mind skipping Furano, consider the following.

To fill up your half day before Nikka Whisky, do a scenic drive along the coast of the Shakotan Peninsula to Kamui Misaki. After Yoichi go down south to Toya-ko via Niseko whose countryside beauty is only next to Biei, IMO. From Toya go back up to Sapporo via Noboribetsu and take in some other worthwhile sites along the coast. Take a look at post #8 on the thread below for some suggested places between Toya/Noboribetsu and Sapporo/Chitose.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g298143-i5078-k5497…

Mentioned in this post
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Furano
Furano
Hokkaido, Japan
Shakotan Peninsula
Shakotan Peninsula
115 Reviews
Shakotan-cho, Japan
Misaki
Misaki
100 Reviews
Shakotan-cho, Japan
Yoichi-cho
Yoichi-cho
Yoichi-gun, Japan
Niseko-cho
Niseko-cho
Abuta-gun, Japan
Sapporo
Sapporo
Hokkaido, Japan
Noboribetsu
Noboribetsu
Hokkaido, Japan
Chitose
Chitose
Hokkaido, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hokkaido in Mid-April next year (Furano or No Furano?)

Oh Thank you so much William! It's a very good suggestion! I love the idea of going to Shakotan Peninsula before Yoichi! If the beauty of Toya-ko is next to Biei then I will go there without regretting not going to Biei.

Do you recommend hot spring at Toya or Noboribetsu ? Do you think it's worth going to Tomakomai the last day before going to the Outlet at Chitose ? I love Hokkigai !

Mentioned in this post
Shakotan Peninsula
Shakotan Peninsula
115 Reviews
Shakotan-cho, Japan
Yoichi-cho
Yoichi-cho
Yoichi-gun, Japan
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Noboribetsu
Noboribetsu
Hokkaido, Japan
Tomakomai
Tomakomai
Hokkaido, Japan
Chitose
Chitose
Hokkaido, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hokkaido in Mid-April next year (Furano or No Furano?)

Sorry if I had misled you in my earlier post. For countryside beauty it’s Niseko that is comparative to Biei, not Toya-ko!

We hadn’t stayed in Noboribetsu but a friend who did recommends it over Toya-ko for onsen experience. On both our visits to the region we stayed in Toya and did Noboribetsu as a side trip as we like the lake view of Toya. Also Toya has more to offer as far as sightseeing is concerned.

If you are in Tomakomai for its Hokkigai, don’t miss the fish market.

http://uminoeki.info/

And just across the road from the market is the following popular eating place which is said to be frequented by celebrities.

http://h-machine.jp/marutoma/

Mentioned in this post
Niseko-cho
Niseko-cho
Abuta-gun, Japan
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Noboribetsu
Noboribetsu
Hokkaido, Japan
Tomakomai
Tomakomai
Hokkaido, Japan
Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hokkaido in Mid-April next year (Furano or No Furano?)

I went to Biei in May and loved it anyhow. The rolling hills, trees and empty fields are also a beautiful sight. Biei is also surrounded by mountains in the backdrop.

I'd recommend Potato No Oka as a place to stay. They serve very lovely dinner and breakfast and the hosts were very sweet and helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Biei-cho
Biei-cho
Kamikawa-gun, Japan
Biei Potato no Oka
Biei Potato no Oka
53 Reviews
Biei-cho, Japan
Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hokkaido in Mid-April next year (Furano or No Furano?)

Just want to remind you - in countryside areas in mid-May the roads can still be icy or snowy. So drive carefully. Ski resorts are open until end of April. There can be fresh snowfall.

i'd do Niseko and Lake Toya/Noboribetsu. BUt drive carefully.

Amanda

Mentioned in this post
Niseko-cho
Niseko-cho
Abuta-gun, Japan
Lake Toya
Lake Toya
436 Reviews
Hokkaido, Japan
Noboribetsu
Noboribetsu
Hokkaido, Japan
6. Re: Hokkaido in Mid-April next year (Furano or No Furano?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2014, 07:24