We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hokkaido vs tokyo

Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
hokkaido vs tokyo

I'm thinking to go to Hokkaido and Tokyo, but we only have 7-8days in total. Is Tokyo or Hokkaido better for family trip with all the good food? My whole family is not big fan of sight seeing, but they are mostly foodie, but we're still debating if we should go to both or just Hokkaido. We are thinking to go in early Oct/Mid Oct. Any suggestion?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,365 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hokkaido vs tokyo

You can have almost the same food whether in Tokyo or Hokkaido. I suppose there are some unique exotic dishes up north such as the live squid sashimi. Being from Canada you wouldn't find much of the scenery in Hokkaido to be particularly unique.

According to some statistics there are 80,000 restaurants in Tokyo so choices there are obviously much better.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 21:16
Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hokkaido vs tokyo

It's not so much the food as what kind of holiday you want: a big city with all the cars, buildings, trains, noise and so-Japanese sights.

Or a place of mountains and lakes and trees, with small, more modern cities and GREAT seafood, ice cream, chocolate, cheese, beer.....

If it is a first time to Japan and you want the whole Japan experience, then Tokyo is a better holiday. Japanese people come to Hokkaido because it looks 'foreign"...like Canada or New Zealand or England!

Amanda

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hokkaido vs tokyo

Excellent food is the rule throughout Japan. The classic first trip to Japan includes Tokyo and Kyoto. Hokkaido is a long way from Tokyo, so most tourists don't go to Hokkaido on their first trip to Japan. Tourists are much appreciated in the Tohoku area between Tokyo and Hokkaido: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p6jTa0iFuI

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,096 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hokkaido vs tokyo

I agree with Amanda's assessment. If it's your first trip, Tokyo is going be much more striking. Hokkaido is going to feel like laid-back country side with scenery somewhat similar to Canada to a certain extent.

Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hokkaido vs tokyo

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I also want to know if it's safe travelling in Tokyo due it had earthquake and damage nuclear area a yr or 2 ago. My pre-sister in law and brother are going, but they're getting married this year and planning to have baby right after the trip. I heard people said to avoid going to Tokyo because of the radiation is still on and it closes to damage area and this is no good for the people who are planning or during pregnancy, might cause abnormal baby from radiation. However, Hokkaido is further from damage nuclear area, so it's more safe than Tokyo?

Would it be make sense to go Hokkaido for 5 days and 2 days in Tokyo? Does it worth the price and time to go?

Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: hokkaido vs tokyo

I'm sure my sister would like to have crabs in Japan as she watched the shows on TV and she already fall in love with them, mostly that my family loves seafood and ice cream. Anybody knows where has good ice cream land and strawberry in Hokkaido?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,096 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hokkaido vs tokyo

Radiaton: You be the judge on this as we can't be responsible for your health. Common sense tells us that it shouldn't be unsafe, or else, all the Japanese babies born since 311 would have all sorts of health problems already. Long-term prospects: who knows? None of us is qualified to answer that.

5 days in Hokkaido and 2 days in Tokyo don't make sense as your Tokyo trip will feel very rushed. I highly recommend you stick to one. You don't want to waste valuable vacation time on transport. Less is more.

8. Re: hokkaido vs tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 05:19