We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan Airlines Review

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Japan Airlines Review

Hi,

Just wondering has anyone recently flown Japan Airlines from Sydney and how was it ??

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Melbourne
Level Contributor
197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan Airlines Review

I haven't been with JAL before but I heard it's pretty good from a friend who recently went for her honeymoon from Melb to Tokyo.

They are personable, typical Japanese hospitality. But of course, best to ask others who have had experience! :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan Airlines Review

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/jal.htm

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan Airlines Review

Had read Skytrax but thought some one on TA would have flown recently. There is a recent post on Skytrax since I last looked and its better than the previous posts who complained about leg room, food and movies.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,832 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japan Airlines Review

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japan Airlines Review

If you are flying economy, you shouldn't really expect anything too radically different from other airlines.

Starting Dec 2, JAL will start using the new 787 between Sydney and Tokyo so that should be brand new equipment with the latest amenities.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japan Airlines Review

Be aware of the 28 degrees cabin temperature policy. See:

flyertalk.com/forum/jal-mileage-bank/1489060…

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japan Airlines Review

Just looked at the post on cabin temperature and I think my son will welcome the warmth since his going to Niseko to snow ski.

Yes they are flying economy..... Seems they are OK to fly with.

Thank you everyone for our input. He wasn't sure whether to pay the extra and fly Qantas which was around $400-500 difference.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Japan Airlines Review

I found it like trying to sleep in a sauna (take shorts and a singlet for overnight).

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Japan Airlines Review

I will get him to pack maybe some shorts in his carry on .... Just in case.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Japan Airlines Review

I flew JAL earler this year. Their standard of service is slightly better than Qantas because the staff have a higher level of politeness (the Japanese standards are much higher when it comes to customer service.) eg. They were very polite to passengers & quick to offer drinks all through the flight. But really that's about it. The food is much the same as any airline food. Economy class is much the same as for any full service airline. I didn't notice any variation in cabin temperature compared to any other airline.

I don't get the Aussie Qantas loyalty myself - it's undeserving these days. The last time I flew Qantas - cost cutting was evident - the cabin crew hid for most of the duration of the long flight & didn't serve refreshments/ coffee & tea in the afternoon as promised on the menu card - it became an 'on demand' thing but this meant disgruntled passengers had to hunt down staff for a drink of water - I felt they took advantage of the Japanese passengers because they are typically undemanding during flights. I prefer JAL out of Sydney. Also Qantas has only red eye (night) flights.

Reply to: Japan Airlines Review
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted