We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sabbatical of surfing and phtos

bucharest
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
sabbatical of surfing and phtos

Hi All,

My wife and I, with our two sons (ages 4 & 8), would like to come to Japan for the summer (July & August).

My interests are surfing and triathlon training.

My wife's interested in photography.

We wish to be outside of Tokyo (but no more than a 4 hrs train ride), next to the sea.

We are struggling to find two months worth of activities and programs for our sons. Everything we find is Tokyo based, and runs for 3 days to a week or so. Would you have any suggestions for summer school programs in english, while being within a short drive of a surf-able beach?

Thanks for any consideration in advance,

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,548 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sabbatical of surfing and phtos

Here's your surf site. http://www.japansurf.com/

The island of Shikoku is known to have international competitions. It's also a photogenic place -- a quiet, idle Japan. You'll need to take a plane to get there.

There are English "summer camps" for non-native speakers which last for a couple of weeks, but usually the international kids all go "home" for the summer and the city is depleted of English speaking children.

Just living in Japan for a couple of months should be a good immersion program for your children. They'll probably pick up the language quite quickly!

2. Re: sabbatical of surfing and phtos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2010, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Chiba
More Chiba Topics