We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

Which Narita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

Hi,

Just wanted some feedback from those of you with the experience.

1) Sounds like it is best for me to bring some AAA traveler's checks and exchange them at the P.O. Services at Narita Airport. The location in the Main Building 3rd Floor (Departures) is open 9 AM to 8:30 PM year round).

2) Or can I use the Post Office ATM in the Main Building, 2nd Floor - open 8 AM - 8 PM weekdays?

Can I use HSBC ATM? Debit cards there since I believe I read that P.O. ATMs take foreign bank cards?

(I do not have a Citicard ATM card, so the only well known USA bank ATM at the airport is not available to me as an option.)

Which location would be more convenient after we land at the airport (Japan Airlines, Terminal 2)?

3) After getting cash, where do I go to find

a) the JR voucher exchange office and

b) the JR Narita Express train from Narita to Shinjuku, as well as the JR reservations office?

Please help out with some links since I am now feeling somewhat overwhelmed by many last minute details for our Japan trip.

Thanks a whole bunch!

Yokohama
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

>> 1) ... bring some AAA traveler's checks and exchange them at

at "any currency exchange" counter at Narita, rates and charges are generally same.

narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_11_t2.html

*) You should refer "Before Passport Control".

>> 2) Or can I use the Post Office ATM in the Main Building,

narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_12_t2.html

CitiBankATM, PostOffice(now JP BANK)ATM and SevenBank ATM accept all major ATM card issued at foreign country.

TokyoStarBank may accept too, but I'm not sure.

3) both at underground floor and ask JR staff.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

>>3) After getting cash, where do I go to find

a) the JR voucher exchange office<<

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en009.html

b) the JR Narita Express train from Narita to Shinjuku, as well as the JR reservations office?

www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

You can do them both at the same place.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

I don't think you need to go through the trouble of getting traveler's checks just for currency exchange purposes. (If that's what you meant.) Exchanging plain, old cash works fine.

New York
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

Domo!Thank you!

Hirano and Optimistk,

The links are great.

1) Still not clear. Can I use the HSBC DEBIT Card at the JB Bank (= Post Office) ATM. Usually the Debit card would be accepted in an ATM machine THe advantage for me is no transaction fee by HSBC.

(Simba, that is why I was thinking of traveler's checks because the cost should be lower (approx 1%) for currency exchange vs. just plain cash?)

2) Optimistk, Can I find the JR train on the undrground easily? Are there characters to look for or can I just look for "JR" in English at Narita underground level? (Thanks to your link, I was reminded to print out the JR pass exhange form).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,854 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

>> Exchanging plain, old cash works fine.

yes. but the exchange rate is about 2-3% discounted (so you pay 2-3% in hidden fees - see the different rates for T/C and cash), and travellers cheques can be refunded if lost or stolen. Even if you have to pay 1% for the cheques(most people don't), you still come out ahead.

2) Post Office, Citibank, Sinsei Bank, Seven(7-11) Bank all take foreign cards with "Plus" or "Cirrus" logos nation-wide. Follow the signs at the airport. In terminal 2, turn right after exiting restricted area. There is 1 Citibank ATM machine with huge lineup. Down stairs(where JR is) to the left of the escalator at the 7-11 machines there usually have no line-up.

narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_12.html

New York
Level Contributor
369 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

Bibimbob,

Great. Just the info I need. The 7-11 ATM is perfect! What about the JAL ABC cell phone rental? Do I make that stop in Terminal 2 Arrivals before the 7-11 ATM (from whence I can proceed to the JRNarita Express train headed for Shinjuku)?

Also, is it hard to differentiate the JR Narita Express train platform headed for Shinjuku vs. Tokyo Station?

I am asking you or anybody else who can weigh in on this. How difficult is it to maneuver without having the language ability? I already got the Frommers phrasebook (as recommended in another post).

Your opinions may sway my decision about whether to keep my Hakone side trip enroute to Kyoto from Tokyo.

I may opt to keep it "simple" (ha ha) trying to manuever in two major cities of Japan. I have been going into full gear, trying to pick up any traditional Chinese characters that I can recognize and I have been printing pages off the internet non-stop. Getting to be overwhelming with the amount of data for Japan. (My HK trip seems like a cinch compared to this shorter part of the trip! However, I want to make some reservations there which I have not even gotten to because of the complexities of travel in Japan!)

Sorry if it should be another thread, but while I have the attention of the experts here!

DOMO!

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

">> Exchanging plain, old cash works fine.

yes. but the exchange rate is about 2-3% discounted (so you pay 2-3% in hidden fees - see the different rates for T/C and cash), and travellers cheques can be refunded if lost or stolen. Even if you have to pay 1% for the cheques(most people don't), you still come out ahead."

I'm not arguing here...just wondering I haven't used traveler's checks in about 20 years, so I'm a bit behind on issues related to them. If I go to a currency exchange booth, and give them traveler's checks instead of cash, do I get a better rate?

Tokyo
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

>>Can I find the JR train on the undrground easily? Are there characters to look for or can I just look for "JR" in English at Narita underground level? (Thanks to your link, I was reminded to print out the JR pass exhange form).<<

I have created directions with photos from disembarkation of the airplane to how to catch the train to Tokyo, including how to validate the JR pass and where to purchase the 'Suica and NEX' combo, though all the photos are taken in Terminal 1.

http://tinyurl.com/69xo5m

Hope this helps.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,854 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

>> If I go to a currency exchange booth, and give them traveler's checks instead of cash, do I get a better rate?

At most honest money changers and banks, yes. In European exchange counters, not likely because they rip you off with a per cheque fee of $3 or something like that.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,854 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Narita Currency Exchange, JR Narita Train Reservation

ABC rental in T2 is at the ABC luggage storage area on arrival floor (train is at basement)

rental-mobile.com/en/…domestics_02.html

Same train goes to Tokyo and Shinjuku. Platforms are used by other trains as well. Listen to the English announcement when the trains arrive. The Narita Express has huge lettering on the cars that says N'EX.

If you are taking the train, language is not really an issue. The fact that you can read kanji already puts you ahead of many other tourists.