We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

Which Narita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

Hi there!

I am travelling from New Zealand to JPN (Nagoya) and it will be my first time visiting Japan.

I am stopping off at Narita Airport and although the flights were bought as one ticket, I felt skeptical about having to get from the international terminal to the domestic terminal in 35 minutes.

Also, the flight from New Zealand to Tokyo (Narita) is through Air New Zealand while my flight from Tokyo (Narita) is through ANA.

Therefore, will I:

1) Need to pick up my bags from Narita and check them back in as I am transitting through different Airlines AND Carrier/plane.

2) Have enough time to check into my next flight in 35 minutes.

I'll be so grateful if you could provide some help/advice and will seriously consider it :)

Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,821 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

Who issued the tickets? What did they say about transit time?

Most passengers will have to go through customs at Narita, though there should be some flights from Narita to international airports in Japan that are counted as international flights on which luggage is reclaimed and custom controls take place at the destination international airports like KIX, I think. In that case 35 minutes shouldn't be a problem.

I am not sure whether your flight is this case, although both Air New Zealand and ANA are Star Aliance Members and luggage might be checked through.

This sort of question is best answered by the issuer of the ticket. If it's a reliable agent, they should be able to answer your question.

Edited: 25 April 2013, 11:31
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,645 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

If your final destination is the Central Airport in Nagoya, you'll go through immigration and customs there. All you need to do at NRT is deplane, go through the transit security and get to the ANA gate. Air NZ and ANA gates are close. Even so, 35 minutes is very tight.

The arriving time of a flight is when the plane touches down. It'll take ~20 minutes just to taxi to the gate and deplane. Your luggage will be checked through all the way to Nagoya, but both you and your luggage making the connecting flight is very slim:

narita-airport.jp/en/…index.html

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

I bought the ticket on the Air New Zealand website but thanks a lot! I guess I'll visit Air New Zealand sometime this week and see if I can take a later plane to Nagoya. It sounds like there's not much room for error...

Will post an update of their input in case others may experience a similar issue.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 02:41
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,345 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

The 2 flights are on one ticket issued by Air New Zealand. You are protected against mis-connection, Why would you worry about not able to connect?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,645 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

" Protected against mis-connection" means the op is guaranteed to get on the next departing flight that has an available seat. It does not mean that the particular connecting flight is going to wait for him if his first flight is delayed for 3 hours, for example.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,821 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

I think you might just keep your fingers crossed. If later plane is available on the same day, then that's would be a guarantee. If you have a ticket for the 16:55 ANA flight, I think you can also count of the 17:55 ANA flight to Chubu Centrair Airport even if you arrived a bit late.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 12:43
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
654 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

As Yobeekook mentioned, even if you miss the flight, they are going to put you in the next available flight.

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

I appreciate the help, and it's a good point that I will be put in my next available flight. I guess I should have mentioned that I will be on a schedule as I am going on a solo exchange trip as a high school student. A teacher from the school I'm going to will apparently be at the airport to pick me up and wants to know when I will arrive. If I miss my flight, I don't think I will be able to contact the person from Tokyo. There's probably a way around it but I'd rather be sure that I can make it at a certain time :)

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,756 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

You could send them an email from the airport.

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 35 Minute Transit Time (International to Domestic)

Update:

I was told that the ticket has a 'legal' transit time and this is possible. Unfortunately I will have to go through customs and pick up my suitcase only to check them back in. The person helping me agreed that it was a very short transit time and suggested that I request 'special service' from the flight attendants to help me deplane faster. The flight attendants have information of every passenger's destinations and transits and can help to assist those who need to deplane faster.

For now, my main worries are picking up my bag and checking it back in fast enough. I just gotta have my fingers crossed.

I hope this helps out anyone with a situation similar to mine :)