We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hakone Ryouriyado Ryokan Kyuan - Anyone been here?

Which Hakone-machi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Hakone Ryouriyado Ryokan Kyuan - Anyone been here?

I've googled this Ryokan and only found 2 pages of results so I'm assuming this is new?

Can anyone give me feedback on this ryokan? I booked this through agoda for Christmas and it looks good in the pics, plus there's 1 review in english, but we all know I can't go on only 1 review.

My alternative right now is Gorakadan which isn't accepting bookings for December yet.

Thanks a lot! :)

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hakone Ryouriyado Ryokan Kyuan - Anyone been here?

I can't give any personal recommendation nor can I really point you to any reviews in English, but you may be able to find something helpful with Google translate and a search for 箱根弓庵 which appears to be the kanji for the ryokan.

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hakone Ryouriyado Ryokan Kyuan - Anyone been here?

I looked at this on Agoda and they only seemed to be offering rates that included breakfast only (and were terribly overpriced for that). Are you getting dinner? If not it doesn't make much sense to stay at a ryouriyado (an inn specializing in cuisine).

Based on numerical ratings, the Japanese reviews (on Rakuten, Ikyu, and Jalan) are fairly good, but I'm not sure this is a property that you can get a good deal on through Agoda, based on the pricing I saw. Also, given that there are almost no reviews in English and the hotel doesn't have an English web site, it might be a place that is unaccustomed to foreigners. It could possibly be very awkward and there is some chance you might not have a great experience, despite paying a large amount of money.

I wouldn't rule it out, but I wouldn't just book through Agoda and hope for the best. Look carefully at other options including contacting the ryokan directly. And don't stay there unless you plan to have dinner.

I wouldn't panic about finding a place for Christmas, at this point.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,891 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hakone Ryouriyado Ryokan Kyuan - Anyone been here?

I agree with not booking through Agoda unless you're sure that Agoda is giving you a good discount.

Hakone Kyuan is an exclusive and small ryokan with only 9 rooms altogether and I suspect that not many foreign tourists stay there, thus few reviews in English.

Here is the link to 100+ reviews in Japanese in Rakuten, a huge booking site in Japan. Use google translation:

travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/72000/review.html

Gora-Kadan is another 5+* ryokan and is more used to cater to foreign tourists.

Two 5+* ryokans I can personally recommend are Ginyu and Kinnotake:

www.hakoneginyu.co.jp/english/main.html

http://kinnotake.com/english/

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hakone Ryouriyado Ryokan Kyuan - Anyone been here?

Thanks for your reply, my agoda voucher says half board so I'm assuming (based on other onsen sites) that half board is breakfast and dinner. But yes, I'll look into it. Thanks again!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hakone Ryouriyado Ryokan Kyuan - Anyone been here?

@shibuyakko - Oooh! Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into these. I also have the Gora Kadan bookmarked because I'm having second thoughts on the Kyuan.

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hakone Ryouriyado Ryokan Kyuan - Anyone been here?

Okay, I think you're right about dinner. Agoda listings specifically say Breakfast Included but the standard meaning of half board is dinner plus breakfast but no noon meal, so I guess they don't even bother to mention that dinner is included. Kyuan does look nice. I would still worry to some extent about the language issue, but they might be perfectly fine with it. You might want to ask the ryokan. Staying at a ryokan is not the same as staying at a hotel, and to get the maximum value and enjoyment it's better if there is someone who speaks at least a little English (unless you can speak Japanese).

7. Re: Hakone Ryouriyado Ryokan Kyuan - Anyone been here?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 06:15