We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nagoya to Hakone 2D1N

14 posts
Save Topic
Nagoya to Hakone 2D1N

Hi! I need help to figure out my 2d1n itinerary. This is my 1st time in Japan. We are group of 5 with 3 children age 9-14yrs old. Actually we will be in japan for 7 days but i've break-up my itinerary in order to get more details insights for each visit.

Monday

- Early morning to travel from nagoya via shinkasen bullet train to Odawara. Please advise what time is appropriate to buy tickets and take the train.

- fyi we already booked hostel near kawaguchiko stn. How to get there from Odawara stn?

- i want to buy hakone 2days pass. How? And i also will travel to Tokyo after spending one night here. Please advise which transportation to take. Shall we buy the transportation ticket in advance?

- Could someone help me to draft hakone itinerary or activities and utilizing the free passes because i have no idea what i should do next once i reach Odawara stn. The only thing i have on mind is to go to the hostel.

Tuesday

- we planned to travel to tokyo in afternoon after check out on the next day.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nagoya to Hakone 2D1N

Are you committed to staying at Kawaguchiko? It's on the north side of Mt. Fuji and the Shinkansen goes past the south side: https://goo.gl/maps/JJg7T Do you plan to spend the day in Hakone, then travel to kawaguchiko at the end of the day? It will take you about four hours to reach lake Ashinoko in Hakone from Nagoya. It might take an hour and a half by bu to reach Kawaguchiko from there.

Anyway, Japan Guide has lots of information on travel in the area. This page tells what there is to do in Hakone: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html The links here will help you get to Hakone and around the area, and help you decide whether the Free Pass is worthwhile (you would buy the local Free Pass at Odawara Station): japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html#jump_orientation

Here is travel info for Kawaguchiko. If you decide to go directly form Nagoya, select 'To/From Kyoto' at the top of the page; the Shinkansen from Kyoto passes through Nagoya: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

A couple of thoughts:

Nagoya is not a popular tourist destination. Are you just staying there because you're flying into there? Otherwise, Kyoto has much more for tourists to see.

Because you have so little time in Japan, consider skipping the Mt. Fuji area entirely. The view of the mountain is inspiring if you can see it, but it's often obscured by clouds and haze. If the weather is clear you will have a fine view from the Shinkansen, on the left side, about an hour before it is due to arrive in Tokyo.

If you especially want to visit Hakone, can you find a place to stay in that area? This is the first time that I've looked at http://www.booking.com but it seems useful for showing one- two-room options.

Mentioned in this post
The Hakone
The Hakone
21 Reviews
Hakone-machi, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nagoya to Hakone 2D1N

If you do go from Nagoya to Hakone to Kawaguchiko to Tokyo, you will not want to carry heavy luggage with you. Check out luggage forwarding: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html Your Nagoya hotel can arrange forwarding to your Tokyo hotel.

Mentioned in this post
The Hakone
The Hakone
21 Reviews
Hakone-machi, Japan
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nagoya to Hakone 2D1N

Thanks Roger for your advise. Yes you are right, I'm going in and out via Nagoya. We want to go to Mt Fuji and spend a night there, just to relax and enjoy the fresh air. I thought Kawaguchiko will be a nice place to enjoy a country side. We also aware about Mt Fuji sighting. Great advise. I didnt aware that it took 4hrs to travel from Hakone to Kawaguchiko. I should find hotel at Hakone area. No worries we only carry small luggage or may be just a backpack. Since I have children, they will be enjoy to take the ropeway ride and pirate ship as per Free Pass. Then we will go to Tokyo on Tuesday and will visit Disneyland on Wed.

Perhaps I should change my itinerary, Mon&Tue to Tokyo, then Wed travel to Hakone.

Mentioned in this post
The Hakone
The Hakone
21 Reviews
Hakone-machi, Japan
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nagoya to Hakone 2D1N

It would be good if you posted your entire itinerary for comment stop that we're better able to suggest options.

With only 7 days total and with children I would skip Hakone altogether, spend more time in Tokyo, perhaps the Fujiko F Fujio museum (Doraemon), Kidzania, or in Nagoya Morikoro park... All great places for kids, and very japanese.

Mentioned in this post
The Hakone
The Hakone
21 Reviews
Hakone-machi, Japan
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nagoya to Hakone 2D1N

Thank you for your reply. We want to spend some time around Mt Fuji. I know for some people its nothing but as for myself I want to enjoy nature just a short break from hectic life. I'm from asean country which have no opportunity to enjoy such nature and weather. I'm aware NZ have splendid mountain scenery. Of course NZ is one of the place in our next travel list.

Back to my trip to Japan, we will spend 2 night in Tokyo after a night either Hakone or Kawaguchiko. We have 2N in Nagoya, 1N at Mt Fuji, 2N in Tokyo (i'll get more info about tokyo in tokyo tread), 1N Nagoya before taking flight home. While we are in nagoya we will decide whether or not to make a day trip to Kyoto either on 2nd day or 2nd last day.

We will travel from Nagoya to either Odawara or Mishima via bullet train. Will intend to spend the day at Hakone. Appreciate if someone could help me to tell me how to get to all the attraction place around Hakone. My kids love ropeway and boats. A bit worry cause we can read/speak japanese.

Then to travel from Hakone to Gotenba and from there to Kawaguchiko. I've read there are Fujikyu buses travel to Kawaguchiko station which will pass through lake Yamanaka. I find that this route is nearer compare to if I choose to take the train which will cost me 4hrs ride. I've learn that if drive via highway it only 60km and only took about 2hrs to reach kawaguchiko. I've have search/read around but could not find more details about the transportation.

Mentioned in this post
The Hakone
The Hakone
21 Reviews
Hakone-machi, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nagoya to Hakone 2D1N

Ok, thanks, I have a better idea of what you want now.

I understand your want to enjoy the countryside. For the amount of time you have it would be better flying into tokyo (narita or hanade) and just doing Tokyo/Hakone. OR, thinking you may not be able to/want to change flights, it may be better to skip Tokyo.

I just feel like you'll spend most of your time travelling from place to place and have limited chance to enjoy Japan.

Mentioned in this post
The Hakone
The Hakone
21 Reviews
Hakone-machi, Japan
7. Re: Nagoya to Hakone 2D1N

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:16