We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yokohama in January......

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
Yokohama in January......

We are staying in Yokohama in January 2014 for 12 nights. I have a list of all the attractions in Yokohama we are interested in but think we will have a few days spare. Can anyone suggest a day trip from Yokohama that we could do? I have info on Nikko and thought this would be good. I am also interested in Mt Fuji. I am interested in any suggestions that may be dfferent. We dont usually do guided tours we like to go at our own pace and I research the area and plan how to get there and what to see. We love history and museums.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yokohama in January......

Hi Just-Julie

Nice to see you again. How was your last Kyushu road trip!?

If you still haven’t been there yet, popular side trips near Yokohama include Kamakura/Enoshima and Hakone. If you can spare a few days with overnight stays, consider the Izu Peninsula or the Fuji Five Lakes area.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yokohama in January......

Hi Williams512, Great to hear from you again too. Kyushu road trip was fantastic. Although we should have had more days as I planned so much into the timeframe and every day was full on. We did so much and saw heaps, thanks for your advice and guidance.

This time round we are staying in Yokohama and visiting a friend. She has to work most days but we will get so see her when she takes some days off. Twelve nights in Yokohama seems a long time and we thought that we would end up wondering what to do after awhile (I cant just sit around an apartment all day) I have checked out Nikko for one day's outing, and we could easily do some things in Tokyo that we have not yet seen. Hakone sounds good. I have always wanted to visit the castle there as I read that it is still in the original state and has never been rebuilt. That is a great suggestion, thanks for your help once again.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yokohama in January......

Hakone, a hot spring resort, is different from Hikone, a castle town.

What can be visited from Tokyo as a day trip also can be visited from Yokohama as a day trip. http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1103.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,359 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yokohama in January......

Nihon Minka-en in Kawasaki is nearby and a nice place to spend a day.

http://www.nihonminkaen.jp/minka_e.htm

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yokohama in January......

oooh so I was mistaken by the spelling. Thank you for correcting me. I thought that the castle was closer to Kyoto than Tokyo so it would have been a big day trip! I will research Hakone, thank you...

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
737 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yokohama in January......

You should not miss Kamakua. It's only short ride from Yokohama!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yokohama in January......

Kawasaki looks good too. I will research a little more. It is not far from Yokohama so would make an easy day out if we were a little tired from the "big days" sightseeing. Thanks for the information and link.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yokohama in January......

I was just looking at the information on Kamakura. It does look promising. Thanks heaps for the suggestions I have some good ideas now.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Yokohama in January......

A highly worthwhile event that has been on our wish list is the spectacular winter illumination in the Sagamiko Resort Pleasure Forest. Don’t miss it since you are there at the right time of the year and it is not far from Yokohama or Tokyo. Last winter it was held from Nov 9 2012 to Apr 14 2013. Keep monitoring the following webpage for update information scheduled for this coming winter.

http://www.sagamiko-resort.jp/illumillion/

Edited: 06 August 2013, 00:52
Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yokohama in January......

If you like contemporary art is, Taro Okamoto Museum and Nihon minka-en is possible to go on the same day.

At a distance of 10-15 minutes are in the same Ikuta ryokuti(green space) this two places.

http://www.ikutaryokuti.jp/hp/forein_en.html