We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Takayama - Nagano - Nikko?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Takayama - Nagano - Nikko?

Hi all

I have a route planned out so far Osaka - Kyoto - Takayama but then I get a bit stuck! I want to go to Nikko from Takayama by the cheapest way possible, probably bus. I was hoping to pop in and see the snow monkeys in Nagano.

1) Is it possible to get from Takayama to Nikki by bus?

2) Is it possible to leave Takayama in the morning, stop off and visit the snow monkeys in Nagano and then continue on to Nikki in the same day?

3) I was hoping to not backtrack or go to Tokyo to get to Nikki. Can anyone suggest an interesting alternative route to Nikki? If I have to miss out, then I can go another time?

Thanks

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Takayama - Nagano - Nikko?

1) There is no direct bus between Takayama and Nikko or Utsunomiya.

2) In theory, yes, though it's a looong day.

3) The fastest route is by Shinkansen via Omiya http://goo.gl/maps/HJAfD

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,757 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Takayama - Nagano - Nikko?

It will be a very very long day. I don't think you should plan all this on a single day.

You could take the bus from Takayama to Matsumoto, spend an hour or so looking at the famed Matsumoto Castle, then take the train to Nagano and then to see the monkeys. You really should continue to head to Nikko the next morning though.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Takayama - Nagano - Nikko?

Mmmm. I need a 'plan B'.

How about a bus from Nagano to Takasaki, then

another bus Takasaki to Utsunomiya

Then on to Nikko?

Or hitching?

I will be doing the trip around mid March.

Any thoughts (or places to get a bus timetable in English) on the above route would be great. It looks straightforward on Google Maps!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Takayama - Nagano - Nikko?

The new plan ....

Get early bus from Takayama to Nagano.

Visit snow monkeys.

If the weather is fine, hitch to Takasaki. If there is a bus take that, but if all else fails, there are lots of trains.

Stay in Takasaki overnight, or, depending on time, move on by hitching, train or bus: Takasaki - Omiya - Utsunomiya

Utsunomiya - Nikko

Spend around 3 days in the Nikko area then off to Tokyo.

I know it's a long day but there will be time to rest in Nikko ...

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Takayama - Nagano - Nikko?

Bus lines from Takayama http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Takayama - Nagano - Nikko?

That's very useful! Thanks. I'm sitting here in the UK trying to get the last bits of the Japan sorted and booked ....

Edited: 07 February 2014, 18:31
7. Re: Takayama - Nagano - Nikko?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 06:21