We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nikko world heritage Sightseeing tour

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Nikko world heritage Sightseeing tour

Plan to stay at Tokyo a few days with JR Train pass. someone recommended Nikko world heritage sightseeing tour. Does it worth to go or go by myself?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nikko world heritage Sightseeing tour

I can't really say what is worth or not for other people. I personally know that Nikko area does not "need" guides at all if you just read guidebooks and be proactive to explore the sites that you are interested in. Guided tours may beneficial for people who are in a short business trip and who cannot have time even to post questions on tripadvisor or see related websites of Japan-Guide, JNTO, Wikitravel, Wikipedia, and Nikko Inbound Tourism Association, as well as related pages of Lonely Planet or Frommer's Japan.

If you are only staying in Tokyo and going to Nikko from there, the standard JR Pass is a big loser of money. But I don't know your full itinerary or much about your particular interests. If you can post us the full itinerary then I'm sure people here can give you the best pass option. Nikko can be visited by JR Tohoku Shinkansen to Utsunomiya then JR Nikko Line local train, but the more popular way is by Tobu Railway Spacia Kegon Ltd Exp departing from Tobu Asakusa Station (Shinkansen travel can be expensive, relatively speaking).

The main dish in Nikko is the Toshogu mausoleum of the first Shogun of the Tokuagawa Shogunate. The grave of his grandchild is the Taiyuinbyo is nearby, as well as Rinnoji, the main Buddhist temple in the area (which is under restoration but the restoration work and the artifacts can be seen closely at present moment).

There are good "side dishes" like the Kegon Falls and Lake Chuzenji, former Imperial Villa, etc.

Kinugawa / Kawaji Onsen and Ryuokyo Gorge can also be coupled with Nikko sites, if you can allow more than a day.

The area is frequented by foreign tourists including your compatriots and most of them come as independent travelers. If you can order Big Mac and Coca Cola at McDonalds all by yourselves, you can manage Nikko without problem, don't worry.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 12:08
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nikko world heritage Sightseeing tour

Japan-Guide Nikko: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html

Wikitravel Nikko: http://wikitravel.org/en/Nikko

Nikko Tourist Association Inbound Committee: http://www.nikko-japan.org

JNTO Nikko page: jnto.go.jp/eng/…nikkou.html

JNTO Practical Travel Guide Nikko & Kinugawa : jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-302.pdf

Wikipedia page: …wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikk%C5%8D_National_Park

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nikko world heritage Sightseeing tour

Thanks for your info. My Japan trip with my wife are mainly at Hokkaido. Because we fly in/out via Tokyo. So when we finished Hokkaido and using JR train back to Tokyo. I will stay at Tokyo for a few days. Here is my near final itinerary

Day 1: overnight fly from Sydney to Narita International Airport, Arrive in the morning. Transfer flight to Kushiro, get rental car. Stay at Kushiro

Day 2: Drive to Kushiro marshland observatory, Lake Akan, Lake Onnetou, Lake Abashiri. Stay at Abashiri

Day 3: Drive to Utoro, Crusie tour, Five Lake and etc. Stay at Utoro

Day 4: Drive down to Lake Kussharo, Lake Mashu, arrive Kushiro, Stay at Kushiro

Day 5: return rental car. Catch JR Train from Kushiro to Sapporo [from this point, using public transport using JR Train pass], Stay at Sapporo

Day 6: to Otaru, back to Sapporo, Stay at Sapporo

Day 7: Sapporo, Stay at Sapporo

Day 8: Train to Noboribetsu, Lake Toya, Stay at Lake Toya

Day 9: Train to Lake Onuma, Hakodate, Stay at Hakodate

Day 10: Train to Tokyo (6 hours), Stay at Tokyo

Day 11: Train to Hakone, Stay at Hakone

Day 12: Back to Tokyo, Stay at Tokyo

Day 13~14: Tokyo, Stay at Tokyo

Day 15: Tokyo: fly back to Sydney overnight

Bangkok, Thailand
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nikko world heritage Sightseeing tour

I also want to thanks you for the info.

We are planning a family one day tours to Nikko and Kamakura.

I have two questions if you can help me:

* I'm not sure I understood the explanations how to travel from Tokyo to Nikko. We are family of 5.

* when reaching to Nikko, you mentions Kegon Falls and Lake Chuzenji. How do we travel inside Nikko? By Bus?

Thanks very much.

Koby

5. Re: Nikko world heritage Sightseeing tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:17